Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I found this article: http://www.ehow.com/how_9636_dress-minimize-large.html

Keep an eye out for Boden, Anthro and Amazon sales. Nordies has good sales too. I also posted a thread with a link to the Maxstudio.com sale. I'm sure you can find some nice pieces on sale!

I would think, tunics, belted sweaters and fitted jackets would work well.
    Last edited by arivecchi; 09-26-2011 at 11:03 AM.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have diastasis, am short waisted, and only 5'4". The trifecta! I definitely have a "tight" bulge directly below my breasts that feels very muscular and is not saggy, baggy. Anyway, I found a shirt at JcPenney that I absolutely love! It covers the arms, is looser, but stylish. I wore it yesterday to church with some skinny jeans, a cute long necklace, and ballet flats:I got it in black
    http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?...Id=70656|80480

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

thx everyone

about shopping online, do most places (e.g. Nordstroms) have free returns in store? that would be essential for me to even consider online shopping. i never shop for clothes for myself online, bc i end up having to return everything. It's so hard for me to tell what will fit or look flattering just from a picture online. Usually 90% of the time i find something that i like , try it on but then either doesn't fit or doesn't look good at all..i have to try like 10 things on before i find something that works. I don't know if this is common and i just have to suck it up and deal with returning most things, but this is something that really turns me off online ordering...

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes -- JCP and Nordstrom allow free in-store returns. Those are two places I don't mind ordering online. Gap, too.

I am two years postpartum and still look pregnant. Last week, I found a Hanes high-waist underthing at Target and wore it yesterday (under my green dress). It was comfy all day; the top didn't roll down and the back didn't creep up. I highly recommend it! eta: it went all the way up to my bra.
    Last edited by pastrygirl; 09-26-2011 at 09:53 AM.

MoJo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I really like that "Vine Wrapped Tee" with the built-in belt that happymom linked to upthread, although $78 is far out of my fashion budget.

I thought (from WNTW) that you wanted to find something to accentuate your waist or give you the illusion of having a waist. But the article Arivecchi linked to said to avoid belts if you're trying to hide a tummy.

"I" think I look better in something that shows I still have a waist. . . but I get more compliments when I wear long boxy blazers.
    Jo

DD#1 "JellyBean" 6/08
    DD#2 "Ha" 6/10

"Theory is great, but as I'm in the trenches of diapers and dishes and ear infections, I try to relax and focus on what's most important: love."--mjs64

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    thx everyone

about shopping online, do most places (e.g. Nordstroms) have free returns in store? that would be essential for me to even consider online shopping. i never shop for clothes for myself online, bc i end up having to return everything. It's so hard for me to tell what will fit or look flattering just from a picture online. Usually 90% of the time i find something that i like , try it on but then either doesn't fit or doesn't look good at all..i have to try like 10 things on before i find something that works. I don't know if this is common and i just have to suck it up and deal with returning most things, but this is something that really turns me off online ordering...
    Nordstrom.com recently rolled out free shipping and free returns on almost everything - so definitely combine your online shopping with in-store shopping!

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Zappos and Amazon have free returns and lots of great options in terms of clothing.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

thx everyone. i may try getting stuff from Boden with the new sale, and just get a bunch of stuff in various sizes and return most of it. the trouble with boden though it seems stuff in a lot of sizes/colors seems to sell out so fast!

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by goldenpig View Post
    Here's some tips for dressing the "adorable apple" body type (that's what I am and I think that sounds like what you are too?):
    http://youlookfab.com/2010/05/10/how...ody-type-2010/

Avoid empire waists and clingy jersey tops. They are deadly for being mistaken for being pregnant.
    That link is fabulous! I use many of those techniques already, but never really put them into words. Thanks for sharing. And yeah, I have to agree with you that empire waists look horrible if you have a it of a belly. You'd think it wouldn't, since it's not clingy, but they do. I have a few nice empire tops and every time I want to wear them, I think that they make me look pregnant again. I'm convinced that empire waist tops are for women who are stick figures, b/c everyone knows that they aren't try to hide anything under them.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

After 2 kids, my body shape has also been altered and although I have the same pre-pregnancy weight, I can no longer fit into many of my pre-preg clothes!! I now have a much much bigger tummy/hip so while I used to wear size 6-8 in J.Crew and Ann Taylor, I can no longer fit into them...

I've found that Boden's size 8 tends to be on the looser side compared to AT/JC so I've been buying a lot of their dresses/tunics now. The only problem with Boden dresses is that their sizing can be rather erratic--so I've had to return/exchange many of their dresses (thank goodness I ordered those during the free shipping/free returns promotion!).

I also like Hanna Andersson's women's line--I used to only shop for kids at HA, but the other day I tried on one of the women's dresses at the Outlet and it was PERFECT. Never thought I'd ever buy stuff at HA for myself, but I'm now hooked. I'll have to go back to the outlet soon for myself, LOL. So if you live near Hanna or Hanna Outlet, give them a try! The dress I bought was very flattering on my small chest + big tummy/hip figure (and it was only $44!).

HTH

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast