Default Can you make your own 2-way stretch wrap?

I was looking at the Wrapsody semi-stretchy wrap carrier for my coming twins. A babywearing expert suggested that a first time parent shouldn't go with a non-stretchy wrap (it takes practice to use competently) and twins will outgrow a stretchy wrap far too quickly, so the semi-stretchy wrap is a good mix of the two. None of the other options are really all that great for twins, they are either harmful to the baby (hip displasia and suffocation risks) or uncomfortable or too difficult for the parents, and often both.
    (By the way, if you're having one baby, check out ring slings, they looked simple and effective to us, but not easy to use with twins. I've never actually tried it, but I've heard good things.)

Here's the one I was looking at:
    http://www.wrapsodybaby.com/shop/pro....php?prod=isis
    (there are different patterns and colors, but that's the basic idea, plus I'd like to get 2 so my wife and I can both wear them at once and quickly and easily take one or both babies hands-free)

That's kind of expensive for what appears to be just a piece of 2-way stretch fabric that's maybe a little wider in the middle. I was looking online and found plenty of people making their own quilted carriers, which is basically just any long piece of non-stretchy fabric, but I only found one person who actually tried using 2-way stretch material:
    http://crunchywannabe.blogspot.com/2...baby-wrap.html
    (that last post is me, by the way)

So what I'm asking is whether or not this is practical. Are there any advantages of the $84 (a little cheaper on amazon right now) wrapsody over just buying a piece of 2-way stretch cotton-lycra blend at any fabric store for $5 or $10? If I'm buying the fabric, are there any dyes or chemicals to avoid? Does anybody know how stretch it should be ideally?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Hello, another twin mom here! You can use a ring sling with twins. They can both fit in one sling as newbies, or you can wear 2 ringslings, with one rs on each shoulder.

I did make my own wrap as well; I just picked out some knit fabric from the store. I'd recommend buying knit from a store, rather than on-line, so that you can feel the fabric in person. You're looking for a knit that feels like a heavy t-shirt.

Another DIY wrap you can try is with onsburg fabric. This will give you a wrap that is more like a woven wrap. Gauze is another option.

Have you looked at thebabywearer twin wearing forum? Lots of good info there.

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

We were only wearing one baby, but we totally went the DIY route for wraps. In fact, that was/is Dh's favorite carrier. I found the fabric at some local store and we used the first wrap through 2 kids. I bought more fabric before Ds2 but it was too strechy so its only good for very light/NB babies.

Our original DIY wrap fabric held Ds1 comfortably at 6mo and longer, though I don't recall when we retired it. We used the directions from Jan Andrea:
    http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/

I think her site is very comprehensive and have referenced it a lot.

At the fabric store, it became clear pretty quick that some fabric was less strechy. We are no experts by any means .We just went with some clearance cotton/? blend in black with a printed pattern. I wanted Dh to be willing to try it out and we thought, for the $8 it would cost it was worth the risk.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).