♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default anybody do weight loss program together with SO/DH?

would love to hear your stories & experiences, tips, etc!!

DH and i are officially starting a weight loss program (i just joined my fitness pal, got the app on my phone too). long-term we'd like to lose about 60 lbs (30 lbs each), but i think right now we're aiming for something like 10-15 lbs, by the end of the year.

i think what really was a wake-up call for me is how i couldn't fit into any clothes at all, and after doing the BMI calculator, i am overweight category and DH is in the obese category (and at this point, i only weight about 30 lbs less than he does!). Yikes. I guess with having kids and everything, it all just creeps up on you. Crazy that just a few years ago, both of us were literally running marathons, and now, we couldn't run half a mile to save our lives.

Also a big concern is that DH recently went on medication for high blood pressure. it's not too horrible right now, but it's getting there. The doctor told him if he lost at least 15 lbs it would help a lot and he likely wouldn't have to be on medication at all. So health concerns are big part of this. Type 2 diabetes also runs in DH's family.

i think it will help now that we're *both* trying to eat better and get in shape. i think when i was nursing and would eat ton of food (iwas just so hungry all.the.time) DH couldn't help himself and would eat a ton too bc it was right there. Also, for the past few months things have been really hectic (DH traveling and working 16 hour days, me alone for days on end with the kids)..it was hard to find time or energy to eat well, let alone work out! hopefully now that things have calmed down a bit we have time to take care of ourselves!

so, would love to hear your BTDT stories, any advice and whatnot. also, did you use a rewards system of some sort (e.g. for every x pounds lost, person gets $y towards an item they want, or something?)

kara97210 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DH and I both just started Nutrisystem last month. So far he has lost 10 lbs and I have lost 8. We are both interested in losing 20-25 lbs, so similar goals as you and your husband. For me it's great to have his support and really helps me with nighttime cravings - I'm fine during the day, but I like to have a real dinner . On nights that the weather is nice we try to do a family walk after dinner.

What I like about Nutrisystem is that it's so controlled. I basically just eat their food and salads with lunch and dinner. The bad thing is the food doesn't taste great, so I eat a lot of the same thing over and over - my last NS order was like 15 of their pizzas because I don't mind them.

So far we aren't rewarding each other for weight loss. Our plan is to stay on NS for 2 months and then move to NS for just lunches and a healthy breakfast and dinner that we make on our own. Hoping to reach our goals around the end of the year.

I'm in the same boat as you in terms of wardrobe (2 kids in 3 years and nothing fits), which has been really depressing for me. I've been holding off on new clothes, but plan to go slightly nuts with shopping when I reach my weight loss goal.

Good luck, I know it's hard but it feels great to take the first step.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

hmm, nutrisystem sounds interesting..i like the part about fixed meals, so you dont' have to prepare anything. today i ate a meal and i feel like i'm just guessing as to how many calories etc...

and yeah, i plan to go slightly nuts with shopping once i reach my goal too.