Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

We have both in our playroom but until very recently we had four Trofast smaller units set up to be a train table (a HUGE train table). I always thought that when the kids outgrew the train table it'd be great that we could repurpose the Trofasts into something else and we did. We stacked them up two sets of two and now they're just storage areas. I don't mind them and can't say that I prefer one over the other (Expedit vs. Trofast--we have the 5 x 5 Expedit too).

We have different sizes of bins and they've worked well. When it was a train table though we often had kids pull out the bins and hide in the middle!

ETA: A picture of when there was a train table: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...27949f6&type=1
    Last edited by sidmand; 10-07-2011 at 10:02 PM.
    Debbie

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sidmand View Post
    We have both in our playroom but until very recently we had four Trofast smaller units set up to be a train table (a HUGE train table). I always thought that when the kids outgrew the train table it'd be great that we could repurpose the Trofasts into something else and we did. We stacked them up two sets of two and now they're just storage areas. I don't mind them and can't say that I prefer one over the other (Expedit vs. Trofast--we have the 5 x 5 Expedit too).

We have different sizes of bins and they've worked well. When it was a train table though we often had kids pull out the bins and hide in the middle!

ETA: A picture of when there was a train table: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...27949f6&type=1
    Awesome train table!
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

KHF is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    We have both and the Expedit is FAR more useful. We could've done without the Trofast.
    We have a low Trofast (one like the PP used to make the train table...which is awesome!), and one that's about 3 feet high. We use both, but not like we use the Expedit. We have a 4x4 Expedit in the playroom and a 2x4 with a desk in the office for DD.
    DD - 2005
    DS - 2008

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I used to have something similar to the Expedit system - I got it at Target.

I just changed the nursery to a playroom and bunked our girls in the same room. It's working out really well for us so far. Originally I moved the toys storage systems I had in to there. The baby is 19 months old, and I had cloth bins on one side, and an open storage bin on the other. In the middle was an old bookcase that housed the doll houses, etc, but it was really too small the toys would get stuck, and the kids had trouble getting them out. While I thought it looked nice, I knew the toys in there would be "out of sight, out of mind" and never get played with. So I set out looking for something different.

I found mesh bins at the Container Store that I fell in love with (we have the medium sized ones). The problem was they were too big for my current system. I finallly found this system that would fit the 14" tall bins (they hold a TON of stuff). I ordered 3 of them.

Now I really like the new storage system because the girls can actually see their toys. It's not as pretty looking at the expedit, but I find it more functional for us. It might make a difference if your playroom is in plain view. And while the actual system has a smaller footprint width wise, it actually holds A LOT more toys than the old system!!

Old system:
    old%2520storage.jpg

New system:
    WP_000972.jpg

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I found the bins with the wood Trofast system would fall out of the grooves with any moderate amount of weight, which sort of made the big minds useless for anything by stuffed animals.

I wound up getting this system fro JC Penneys because our family room IS a family room and needs to be cleaned up for guests. I have the drawer units for bases, some of the open units and two of the door units, one in cork. They are very reasonable and you can always find a free shipping code. I've had them for 4 years now, still in great shape.

http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6E.aspx...Id=83546|83582

http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6E.aspx...Id=83546|83582

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I love the expedits, though only have looked longingly at them as we haven't had room. We have an old ikea system that is about the same depth with doors then has one open section in the middle. It was actually for our office but as we've moved it's been repurposed for games and toys. I like that we can shut the doors on most of it to hide the toys away, but my kids are older. So anyway, just a thought when you're looking you might want some storage to be more hidden.

As for the trofast, I loved the real wood but the plastic bins weren't my cup of tea. I've recently seen one where someone cut some wood shelves and replaced the trofast bins with those.
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    As for the trofast, I loved the real wood but the plastic bins weren't my cup of tea. I've recently seen one where someone cut some wood shelves and replaced the trofast bins with those.
    Yes to this - the real wood part is nice, and solid. But the plastic bins seem flimsy to me. We have never had one break (but we don't use ours heavily at all since we prefer the Expedit) but I do remember seeing bins at the store that were cracked at the rim - I could see them breaking easily with heavy toys. And since they pull out like drawers, it is very tempting to pull them 3/4 of the way out, pop the lid off, and pull stuff out/put stuff in which puts a lot of stress on the back corner rims of the plastic bins.

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    DS has cracked a few bins (standing on them!)

There are shelf inserts that you can buy for the trofast.
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90091454/
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

ohiomom1121 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks for all the info and links/pictures. They are very helpful! I'm leaning towards all Expedit. Now I just have to decide on the dark brown or white!

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The white is nice b/c it doesn't show scratches or dust as much. The dark looks nice though too. I have and like both.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast