Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    wallawala is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,242

    Default Failed Glucose Tolerance test ...

    I maybe should put this in the bitching post section. It's been a horrible month. Horrible, and now this. Oh and my hematocrit was too low, so I now I need extra iron too. Yea! Hemorrhoids here we come!


    I go back for the 3 hour next week. As a mom of a special needs kid... I know this is really not a big deal, and might pass the 3 hour....

    but it just was the last thing I needed. I really wonder if it's related to stress and debating about taking a day off work next week to chill.

    Any BTDT advice? My Ob gave me a sheet of diet recommendations, that basically sounds like overkill on carbs for the 3 days befor the follow up test, then fasting the night before. Feels like throwing gasoline on a fire to me. She said think of it as my last hurrah...


  2. #2
    nrp's Avatar
    nrp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    1,715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wallawala View Post
    I maybe should put this in the bitching post section. It's been a horrible month. Horrible, and now this. Oh and my hematocrit was too low, so I now I need extra iron too. Yea! Hemorrhoids here we come!


    I go back for the 3 hour next week. As a mom of a special needs kid... I know this is really not a big deal, and might pass the 3 hour....

    but it just was the last thing I needed. I really wonder if it's related to stress and debating about taking a day off work next week to chill.

    Any BTDT advice? My Ob gave me a sheet of diet recommendations, that basically sounds like overkill on carbs for the 3 days befor the follow up test, then fasting the night before. Feels like throwing gasoline on a fire to me. She said think of it as my last hurrah...

    Hugs - but remember its just a screening test and MOST people pass the 3-hour test. Don't discount the diet beforehand - it is actually designed to decrease false positives. I think the idea is that it gets your body used to heavy carb load so it is prepared for the huge load of glucose in the drink. There is some debate whether it works, but I don't think it could hurt.
    Mommy to
    DD1 (12/06)
    DS (6/08)
    DD2 (10/11)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,601

    Default

    I just took the 3 hr yesterday. I failed the 1 hr screening with both pregnancies by only a few points. I passed the 3 hr with DD1 just fine and suspect this time will be the same. I'm pretty sure the latest stat I saw was that 85% of women who fail the screening pass the 3 hr so odds are in your favor. I know it really stinks, just make an early am appt and get it over with sooner rather than later.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    central VA
    Posts
    6,299

    Default

    I have never heard of a Dr actually advising you to carb load before a glucose test. It is meant to test your normal, average, fasting.

    Good luck, mama. I had to do it early in my pregnancy and will have to do it again soon. Ugh. But I think you will find that MANY women fail the 1 hr and pass the 3 hr. However, I would seriously consider not doing that 3 day carb fest.
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

    I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    4,439

    Default

    I'm sorry. I know it feels terrible when you get the news, but many, many women go on to pass the 3-hour GTT, so there's still hope. And even if, like me, you end up getting diagnosed with gestational diabetes, it's also manageable through diet and exercise only, for many people.

    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amldaley View Post
    I have never heard of a Dr actually advising you to carb load before a glucose test. It is meant to test your normal, average, fasting.

    Good luck, mama. I had to do it early in my pregnancy and will have to do it again soon. Ugh. But I think you will find that MANY women fail the 1 hr and pass the 3 hr. However, I would seriously consider not doing that 3 day carb fest.
    Actually my midwives advised an extra serving of carbs for 3 days prior to the test that I took just this week.

  7. #7
    Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wencit View Post
    I'm sorry. I know it feels terrible when you get the news, but many, many women go on to pass the 3-hour GTT, so there's still hope. And even if, like me, you end up getting diagnosed with gestational diabetes, it's also manageable through diet and exercise only, for many people.

    Yes, just wanted to add that having GD isn't as bad as you might imagine. I ate so well and exercised almost every day and actually lost weight while I was pregnant! But that is getting way ahead of ourselves...chances are you will pass the 3 hour. Good luck!
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    .
    Posts
    4,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beth24 View Post
    Yes, just wanted to add that having GD isn't as bad as you might imagine. I ate so well and exercised almost every day and actually lost weight while I was pregnant! But that is getting way ahead of ourselves...chances are you will pass the 3 hour. Good luck!
    exactly. I was scared of the unknown but it actually was really good for me as instead of gaining 25-30 pounds like I did with DD1, I gained about 10 and everyone kept remarking how tiny I looked even at 36 weeks (and then I went on maternity leave early since CA is a use-it-or-lose it state for the 4 weeks before your EDD). It sounds scarier than it is. Good luck either way!

  9. #9
    nrp's Avatar
    nrp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    1,715

    Default

    The carb load diet is actually very common. 100g of straight glucose is a big shock to anyone's body, especially if you are used to a lowish carb diet anyway. The carb load diet is supposed to amp up your body's ability to create insulin so that you are less likely to fail the test. I don't think its "cheating" (especially when prescribed by your doc), but rather, like I mentioned, trying to prevent a false positive.
    Mommy to
    DD1 (12/06)
    DS (6/08)
    DD2 (10/11)

  10. #10
    llama8 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,021

    Default

    Stay optomistic. I failed my 1hr with DD2 and passed the 3 hour.
    DD 11/09
    DD 06/11

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •