MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default What can I do for this cold?

I'm about 10 weeks and don't have my first appt for another week. I looked online at the handbook and it only gives medicine you can take after the first tri. I can't call because it's saturday. My sinus's are killing me! I thought it was allergies as it kicked in about an hour after the park yesterday but it's just getting worse and the pressure is so bad. I'm using my neti pot, saline, and taking hot steamy showers. I've also used a hot rag on my head which helps but only for a little while. Anything else I can do?

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'll be watching this thread carefully. I'm almost 10 weeks also and had a cold a couple weeks ago and was completely miserable. I didn't know if I could take anything...it was awful. I hope you feel better!

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think you can take some tylenol but thats about it in the 1st trimester. Hot tea with Lemon and honey, chicken noodle soup. Neti pot, saline spray/drops. Hope you feel better soon!

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

benadryl is okay also

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I had no idea you couldn't use common cold/sinus infection remedies in the first trimester, all I remember was no advil, and no aspirin. I don't ever remember reading anything about that in the information I got from my HMO Kaiser who gives out information for just about everything, and from a medical standpoint is uber liberal on things most other HMOs or medical groups may overlook (at least has been my experience). I would probably email or call your doctor and see what they say.

Robitussin Cough and Cold, and Sudafed from the pharmacist got me through a sinus infection when I was just starting my 2nd trimester with DD2.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I was able to take Tylenol cold, and one type of robutussin , and I think Sudafed. Definitely Tylenol Cold is ok.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Wink

Thanks for all of the suggestions! After a couple of miserable days the Neti pot finally cleared me up. That and the vaporizer, hot showers, and hot rags really helped. I seriously didn't think I was going to make it through that one without meds!

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! After a couple of miserable days the Neti pot finally cleared me up. That and the vaporizer, hot showers, and hot rags really helped. I seriously didn't think I was going to make it through that one without meds!

Glad to hear you're feeling better. I know it takes a little longer with these remedies - I comfort myself that at least these actually address the problem. Must say, though, that some days I'd be happy to just mask the symptoms, you know?

May the rest of your pregnancy be smooth sailing (except for that food poisoning you might feel coming on, lol).
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew