In brief:

We've gone from thinking generically about someday adopting (this past Thursday), to meeting a young woman who is considering giving up her baby (on Monday).

This young woman is a friend of a friend of a friend (well, a girlfriend of the son of a neighbor, and no, the son of the neighbor is not the father of the baby, is everyone following along?) We are meeting with her on Monday for the first time (finger's crossed). She THINKS she MIGHT have 14 weeks left, but she is unsure of the due date at this time.

We've contacted an agency that might be able do a home study for us, we've contacted a lawyer who might be able represent us (we did all this on Friday, right before the holiday weekend started). But I'm wondering how exactly this will work in the time remaining.

Here are the less-brief and extenuating circumstance. Young woman is an adult U.S. citizen, but she is living as a dependent of her military father in Germany. We are both U.S. citizens, but are living in Germany. No particular state laws apply at this location. Our home state of record is different from her home state of record. The father is a minor, living in the states, who (I've been told) doesn't want to have anything to do with the baby. Oh, and we are supposed to be moving back to the states in February. Which, if my finger calculations are correct, is about 1 month after the baby is born.

So, can this be done? Do I start researching and doing paperwork before I speak to the young woman? So far all the things I know about her and her background are based on what the neighbor is telling me. I'm trying to contact the base legal office, but they are notoriously hard to pin down.

I guess I'm hoping for practical advice, words of wisdom, and maybe a few hugs.