Thread: Tricycle at 3?

Pear is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Tricycle at 3?

DD is currently 2.5 and because of moving and neighborhood construction we haven't bought her a tricycle. We also don't have a great place to ride because our driveway is steep and we lack sidewalks until more development goes in. We do have a nice bike path not too far away. I am thinking a out doing it now, but with winter approaching will likely wait until spring. At that point she will be 3. Am I better off just waiting until I can get her a bicycle or is the tricycle important for learning? Perhaps I should get one now since we as having a warm fall.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I am sure folks here will recommend a balance bike. We did get trikes bc I found a deal right at Christmas after they turned three. I have to say my girls love them and I am thinking about getting big wheels because they are out growing the trikes.

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

we skipped tyrikes and went with balance bikes...even at 4.5 dd loves hers.

We don't have a balance bike (although one might be a great option for you), but DD#2 (also 2.5) loves her trike! She has this one, the Schwinn Roadster:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-12...ci_sku=5983237

I bought it from Amazon.com for Christmas, for under $50. It's a big trike - the seat is still in it's forward-most position for my tall DD (over 95th %ile for height), so they're a lot of room for growth. My DD#1 had a Radio Flyer Trike that she outgrew around age 2, and moved to a 16" bike with training wheels at 2.5. DD#2 has ridden the bike, but much prefers her trike. I'm guessing she'll ride it most of next summer, as well.
    Last edited by mommytoC; 10-09-2011 at 10:01 PM.
    A, mommytoC (DD#1, born 11/05)...and to K (DD#2, born 4/09)!