Pilotbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Please help new mom with infant stroller

Hi everyone,
    I am brand new to this site and looking for some feedback on strollers for a newborn. We just purchased the Chicco KeyFit 30 infant car seat but were not impressed with the stroller they offer with it. Does anyone have any suggestions? We are interested in safety first, easy to fold and some storage for diaper bag.
    Thank you in advance!

I would get a Snap n' Go for the first few months, and then wait and see!

You may want to post in the Stroller section. The ladies there are very helpful. Also, include what activities you'll be doing with the stroller as well as terrain.

Thank you for the feedback. I tried to post there but couldn't find the way to start a new thread. Just joined today! I will keep trying. Thank you again.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I know there are a ton of newer strollers that have come out since I last purchased one but if you want something that has a decent recline (mine slept in it just fine as a baby through toddler), nice sun shade/hood, compact fold then I would highly recommend a Peg Perego P3. I had the older version called the Pliko and then upgraded to a P3 when my 2nd DS was born. Both of mine are still working just fine (my older one was loaned to a friend). They are good simple strollers ... handle the sidewalks of Los Angeles and Disneyland and the Zoo beautifully. They have a rear footstep that an older child can hitch a ride on.... the handles are a decent height. The basket below accessed from the side can be stuffed (we've done this many times on all day outings with jackets and towel/blankets etc. I had a skip hop diaper bag that I just hung over the handles. It comes with a cup holder for parents but I bought a Valco baby cup holder for the other handle that would accommodate larger cups and water bottles and it was great! Oh and a tray/cup holder for your kiddo when they are a little older too.

I've tried out a lot of other strollers ... and a friend of mine too (she was loaned a bugaboo when #4 was born, after having had a P3 with #3) and we always go back to the P3. It's great.... not too big, not too small ... works with infant seats and accommodates larger toddlers ... just overall a great stroller. Highly recommend trying one out!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

With my older DD I never used a stroller frame or attempted to put the car seat (we had a Graco Snugride 22) on the stroller. We had a Peg Perego Pliko (bought for $30 at a rummage sale) and it was okay and the recline for a newborn was great, but if I were doing it over again and wanted a traditional carriage stroller I would've bought the P3 new instead. I ended up buying a Maclaren Triumph when my DD was 3 months old and it was our do everything stroller until she stopped riding in strollers on a regular basis just before she turned 4. I did get a Maclaren Techno XLR off of Ebay for DD2 (it was a store floor model) for $140 and I have been super happy with that stroller so if you are okay with the umbrella stroller I'd look at that one too. I have never used the car seat adaptor bar with the stroller but the XLR model does come with one. We have never missed the snack tray (even the Pliko didn't have one) so I don't see why it's a must have for a stroller, but that's just me. When DD2 was a newborn I used the Vista bassinet, and or the Maclaren Techno fully reclined.

Another option if you only want one stroller would be an all terrain or jogging stroller like the Mountain Buggy Swift (all terrain, not for jogging), Uppa Baby Vista (all terrain, although it doesn't have air tires), Bumbleride Indie (all terrain w/air tires) or a Bob Revolution (great do everything stroller that you can jog with that has air tires). They aren't smaller compact strollers but they are usuable from birth with either an infant insert, a bassinet, or a car seat adaptor.

It's not cheap esp. for an umbrella style stroller but a lot of the moms in the stroller forum do like the Bugaboo Bee+, which I believe also takes a Chicco car seat adaptor. It is $600 so not cheap, but it seems to be popular.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

llama8 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Get the stroller frame that the car seat snaps into. The best invention ever!!!
    DD 11/09
    DD 06/11

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I have to disagree with the snap n go advice. Car seats are really designed for car use - not for babies to be in them often - which a snap n go encourages. Being in that reclined position is not great for the baby so strollers with seats that have full recline are best. That way the baby can stretch out and rest comfortably without sacrificing airflow. There are many threads about this in the stroller forum. Many posters here do not use car seats with strollers period.

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sho...mendation+snap

Head over to the stroller forum and tell us what your lifestyle is like and what features you want in a stroller so we can help you select the stroller that is right for you - or at least give you some good options!
    Last edited by arivecchi; 10-11-2011 at 07:39 PM.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Quote Originally Posted by arivecchi View Post
    I have to disagree with the snap n go advice. Car seats are really designed for car use - not for babies to be in them often - which a snap n go encourages. Being in that reclined position is not great for the baby so strollers with seats that have full recline are best. That way the baby can stretch out and rest comfortably without sacrificing airflow. There are many threads about this in the stroller forum. Many posters here do not use car seats with strollers period.

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sho...mendation+snap

Head over to the stroller forum and tell us what your lifestyle is like and what features you want in a stroller so we can help you select the stroller that is right for you - or at least give you some good options!
    Thank you so much for the thread...just read through the whole thing! Great information. I tried posting on the stroller forum and I cannot figure out how to do it. I don't see anyplace to start a new thread. Will keep looking. Thank you again.