Default recommend your nerf guns/ammo

don't want to get into a conversation about why i shouldn't give the boys guns please.

criteria:
    1. not painful if hit
    2. easy to shoot and load

tia
    neeley

Dr C is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

we have something vaguely similar to this:
    http://www.hasbro.com/nerf/en_US/sho...D2415BAC:en_US

DH and DS love them. I hate them mainly because the ammo gets littered around the house and the dog chews on the foam (luckily DD is moving out of this phase). Also I think they hurt when they hit you... don't ask how I know this, since we have "no shooting at people" rule...

Sorry I know that's not real helpful... Hopefully others can give more constructive advice.
    My sweet boy 8/06
    My beautiful girl 10/09

kboyle is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

we have about 3 of the above nerf guns, this blaster/rifle, and a few of these, and one of these with an ammo belt, all of them were recived as gifts, and while i didn't want them at first we do put them away and they only get played with when dh & i are playing. most of the time it's a sort of hide and seek/tag type game mom's team vs dad's

the boys also like to wake me up with it on sunday mornings...at least after they shoot me i get breakfast in bed

my boys couldn't really load and shoot till about 5y old...it was too hard to pull back and cock it.
    Kristine, Supermommy to
    Charlie (6/2003), Max (8/2005) & Ernie (5/2007)

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

we have a FULL arsenal of Nerf weaponry... it's actually kind of embarrassing. I really like this one (DS2 got it as a gift for his birthday) http://www.hasbro.com/nerf/en_US/sho...726050D6:en_US

this one looks great! Load up 10 and shoot away!

http://www.hasbro.com/nerf/en_US/sho...7202BF8A:en_US

we like the Maverick too (DS1 got a cool clear one ... they are the same at the solid ones ... just cost a little more... but it's kinda cool to see "inside" the blaster)

http://www.hasbro.com/nerf/en_US/sho...F6EE42FE:en_US

Nightfinder is fun cause it has a red light (laser sight as my DS2 calls it)

http://www.hasbro.com/nerf/en_US/sho...ED25564A:en_US

THIS one has a rapid fire ... it is awesome. You do have to load all the darts and then load the "magazine" and pump it up (my kiddo always asks me to help out) but the darts shoot out fast and ALL of the kids always love it and stand in line waiting for their turn to shoot the "machine gun"!

http://www.hasbro.com/nerf/en_US/sho...A820C40C:en_US

we have the Bandoliers (belts to hold darts and clips), we have a tactical vest... oh and the boys each got the camo pouch with dart refills last Xmas.... they come in handy for a place to store your darts!

Did I mention we have an embarrassing amount of Nerf "gear" in this house?! I sware they have the biggest gun they make down to the little dinky keychain gun.... we have multiple dart tags sets (which luckily come with safety goggles so we can pass them around when the neighborhood kids wanna get in on the battles). Sometimes I love our nerf collection but sometimes I am cursing Nerf when I am wandering around picking up the endless supply of darts that are all over my house! I often find that the larger the nerf gun the more difficult it is to load and ends up frustrating my little guy.... aside from that pump action rapid fire one I would stick with the smaller ones .... ones that are revolvers are cool cause they don't have to re-load and cock the gun after each dart flies!

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions if we have one that you are thinking of buying! Good Luck and welcome to the world of NERF!!!!

There are lots of good info about the nerf guns posted, so I won't add to it. My kids love them. (We have the Vulcan, the nightfinder, the bandoliers, the cammo case, the clear recon gun, the long strike, raider rapid fire, the maverick, and the dart tag set.) Do not buy the cammo colored ammo if you are going to play outside. it's impossible to find them. The bright orange ammo is best.

I would recommend that you get safety glasses or goggles for the kids during use. My kids never aim deliberately for the face but I swear half the time someone gets nailed near the eye. Friend of mine works for a safety equipment place and I bought child sized safety glasses from her for less then $10 each. The kids know the rule is to wear the glasses when they are using them. It has cut down on the "he hit me in the eye" fights.

Jen

Who spent most of the summer playing with the kids (& DH) in the backyard doing nerf gun/water gun battles.
    Mom to 4 wonderful children

DS#1 7/96
    DS#2 11/00
    DD#1 11/03
    DD#2 6/08

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My boys just got exposed to nerf guns right a few months ago. I don't know the names of the guns that they have. They have this huge machine gun that my nephew has outgrown and gave to them. It's so heavy, it has a tripod. They also have some hand units. However, I agree with pp, that it is VERY difficult to cock some of these guns, my 6 yr old has problems with it and sometimes gets frustrated. They are fun, but yeah, keeping track of the pellets (and having to buy more) sucks.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Quote Originally Posted by Tondi G View Post
    we have a FULL arsenal of Nerf weaponry... it's actually kind of embarrassing. I really like this one (DS2 got it as a gift for his birthday) http://www.hasbro.com/nerf/en_US/sho...726050D6:en_US

this one looks great! Load up 10 and shoot away!

http://www.hasbro.com/nerf/en_US/sho...7202BF8A:en_US

we like the Maverick too (DS1 got a cool clear one ... they are the same at the solid ones ... just cost a little more... but it's kinda cool to see "inside" the blaster)

http://www.hasbro.com/nerf/en_US/sho...F6EE42FE:en_US

Nightfinder is fun cause it has a red light (laser sight as my DS2 calls it)

http://www.hasbro.com/nerf/en_US/sho...ED25564A:en_US

THIS one has a rapid fire ... it is awesome. You do have to load all the darts and then load the "magazine" and pump it up (my kiddo always asks me to help out) but the darts shoot out fast and ALL of the kids always love it and stand in line waiting for their turn to shoot the "machine gun"!

http://www.hasbro.com/nerf/en_US/sho...A820C40C:en_US

we have the Bandoliers (belts to hold darts and clips), we have a tactical vest... oh and the boys each got the camo pouch with dart refills last Xmas.... they come in handy for a place to store your darts!

Did I mention we have an embarrassing amount of Nerf "gear" in this house?! I sware they have the biggest gun they make down to the little dinky keychain gun.... we have multiple dart tags sets (which luckily come with safety goggles so we can pass them around when the neighborhood kids wanna get in on the battles). Sometimes I love our nerf collection but sometimes I am cursing Nerf when I am wandering around picking up the endless supply of darts that are all over my house! I often find that the larger the nerf gun the more difficult it is to load and ends up frustrating my little guy.... aside from that pump action rapid fire one I would stick with the smaller ones .... ones that are revolvers are cool cause they don't have to re-load and cock the gun after each dart flies!

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions if we have one that you are thinking of buying! Good Luck and welcome to the world of NERF!!!!

OH man! My boys would LOVE your house! We have 2 Mavericks (last year before xmas Kmart had them for $5) and two other other Nerfs that shoot green balls (forgot name).

DS wants the Longshot and the Stampede for Christmas.

I was worried at first they would hurt, but they don't (at least I don't think they do). We have both darts, the kind with suction and those without.

We have a rule no shooting at the face/head. We also made a "bullseye" and taped it to the wall and the boys try and hit it with the suction darts.
    Last edited by artvandalay; 10-13-2011 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    They have this huge machine gun that my nephew has outgrown and gave to them. It's so heavy, it has a tripod.
    My older son just got one of these for his birthday (from us). It's really fun. It's also a lot easier to use so my 3 year old also enjoys it. The only lame part is picking up the darts and reloading the belt.

This guy:
    Vulcan EBF Blaster
    Reviews are mixed, but we find it fun.

DS2 has a Maverick, but it's hard for him to cock. It shoots the suction darts.

We gave DS1 this one for Christmas last year:
    Raider Rapid Blaster

DH made some targets out of paper plates and hung them in a doorway (to a vestibule, so it was awesome, all the darts were trapped in there = easy pickup) and we had a lot of fun hitting them.

Let's see, DS also got these for his birthday:
    Vortex Vigilon
    The disc shooter, pretty fun also! The discs fly differently.

And these:
    Air Zone Dart Foam Blaster - 2 Pack

Dh made up a game where you have to try and get a dart to stick on the closet door panels. You get 2 points for the small rectangles and 1 for the large and you just get the 6 darts in the guns.

Anyways, I guess I love Nerf guns! I'm a nerf-a-holic.
    Sweetie Pies, DS 9/2004 & DS 4/2008

We have nerf guns and buzzbee guns. They all have soft-tipped suction foam darts.

We have firm rules - one infraction and you're out:
    -no shooting at people or animals
    -everybody freezes when *anyone* says "stop!"
    -if we're target shooting, all guns must point to targets (this rule applies when a bunch of kids are over, bc otherwise people get sprayed)

I'd get a big and a small gun, and a bucket of darts.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew