Thread: I hate packing!

BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default I hate packing!

I've got clothes strung out all over everywhere trying to pack for a 4 day trip! It's so frustrating! My biggest problem is trying to come up with outfits that go with the same shoes.
    I've got a zillion pair of shoes...but they are all "special". I don't have any basic shoes that go with everything. Does such a shoe even exsist???
    I've got to get 3 cute day outfits, a comfy airplane outfit, and clothes for dinner for 3 nights.
    I really need to fit everything in a carryon so that it avoids an argument with DH. I'm looking for tips and luck!

I think try and make outfits that will all fit with either a brown or black shoe. I think a bootie would be the most versatile or maybe ballet slippers in silver or gold. I highly suggest that you go and pick up one of these at the Container store or REI. They make packing so much easier and everything comes out looking better. You can get more in less space and maybe get in another pair of shoes.
    http://www.containerstore.com/shop/t...10000232&N=251
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

JenaW is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I can TOTALLY relate. We are in Chicago right now (with 3 of our 6 kids) and I totally wanted to pack a few pairs of boots (and after seeing what a boot city this is, I wish I had). But, I would have needed a separate suitcase just for shoes (which, if we are checking bags, I can usually get away with).

Here's what I did - a pair of trouser jeans that I could wear on a museum day with a 3/4 sleeve tneck and a long, hooded, striped cardi, and gray sneakers, and also "dress up" for dinner out with a nicer top (one night we went out without kids and I wore a black sequin tank top and short black pointy heel boots; another night with kids, same boots, same jeans, black tneck sweater and colorful scarf). I could also wear these jeans on the plane each way, but for that I wore black yoga pants with the striped cardi and a tee and gray sneaks. I needed a church outfit, so I brought a pair of trouser style khakis which I could also "dress up" with the boots and "down" with the sneaks. I paired it with an argyle sweater with a white button down underneath (that I wore another time opened over a tank with jeans and sneakers). I also wore the khakis with sneakers, a white tee and the striped cardi. I wear a lot of downeast basics or shade tanks sort of as an "undershirt" which came in handy here as an extra warmth layer. But by changing those daily (as I would underwear) I feel less gross getting extra mileage out of my other tops (unless one of the kids gets me dirty).

We didn't do anything "fancy" so that helped (mostly museums/shopping with the kids while DH was at a conference), but I fit all of the above, plus socks, undies, a bathing suit, my toiletries, and a small pack of diapers (40?) in a carry-on suitcase. I wear the yoga pants with one of my tanks in the eves for PJs. I definitely wish I looked more stylish and less "mom of 6 kids" but it got the job done and made hubby happy that I didn't travel with multiple pieces of luggage.