Thread: Boba?

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Boba?

Can this really not be used until 6 months? Can anyone tell me more about it, particularly compared to the Ergo? Trying to use my EcoMom voucher so need this info fairly fast.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yeah, if you're looking at a soft structured carrier that can be used from birth, I'd get a Pikkolo (with support belt so you can extend its lifetime into the "over 20lbs" set), a mei tei like an original BabyHawk (not the Oh Snap! which has the same issue) or a Gemini rather than the Boba.

The issue with the Boba is that there's very little support for a wee babe and the body is super-long, so Baby would need a great deal of head control to be positioned appropriately.

If you try to use a Boba (or an Ergo without an insert) before then, Baby will be positioned chin-to-chest, which is unsafe, and slumped down in the carrier. There's no way to cinch the carrier body so a newborn is "visible and kissable" like good babywearing practice recommends.

Aside from that, the Boba is a wonderful carrier, just not for newborns.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Thanks! The Boba would cost me $25 with this voucher which is why I am debating getting it anyway, and maybe using the Moby until the baby is big enough....

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Thanks! The Boba would cost me $25 with this voucher which is why I am debating getting it anyway, and maybe using the Moby until the baby is big enough....
    Sweet deal!

I love wraps for the newborn stage - I have an EllaRoo and used it almost exclusively when my DD was itty-bitty because I just plain couldn't figure out the insert for our Ergo.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The OP has probably already made her order, but just in case, I'll give my 2 cents

I "think" the new Boba 3G can be used for newborns, I think they come with an insert or something, at least that's what a friend of mine found while researching carriers for her soon to be LO. I had a Boba when my youngest was 2 and I loved it! Because it has a taller body than the Ergo, it supported her much better and she couldn't arch her back to try to get down (which in turn made my neck and shoulders sore). Before I got my Boba, I used an Action Baby Carrier from about 8 mos. to 2 years and I also loved that, but then the Boba was a bit taller and more supportive as she got older. I didn't like the Action Baby Carrier for when she was a newborn because I felt it didn't hold her securely enough, but she was super tiny and I'm a petite mama, so I think that was the problem, as I've heard other mamas use it just fine for smaller infants. And it is structured more like a mei tai (which was my go-to carrier for the first 8 mos.), than other SCC's, I think it was just hard for me to cinch it tight enough when she was a newborn.

For a newborn I've loved ring slings and mei tais, as well as stretchy wraps like the Moby. Good luck in your decision!

Thanks that does help. I haven't bought one yet, I decided to go ahead and use the voucher for other stuff. I think you are right, it looks like the new one can be used for newborns. That definitely makes it way more appealing to me. The voucher I had was for an older one, I'm sure.

Still have some time before getting one, so I will keep looking at the options and appreciate all the advice here!

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I cannot say how many times I passed this today and saw the title 'Boba' and thought 'Fett'. I'm not even a Star Wars freak.

Quote Originally Posted by swissair81 View Post
    I cannot say how many times I passed this today and saw the title 'Boba' and thought 'Fett'. I'm not even a Star Wars freak.
    Hah! I see "Boba" and think of the Asian tapioca drink.

stefani is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hoodlims View Post
    Hah! I see "Boba" and think of the Asian tapioca drink.

Now I am craving some!
    Stefani

Mommy to DS born 5 Sep 03