Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ergo vs. bjorn

Default Ergo vs. bjorn

Hi All-

I'm currently 23 wks prego with my first. Im researching baby carriers but not sure which I should opt for. I currently have a sling I intend to use, but would also like a sturdier carrier for longer outings...I've good things about the Ergo Baby as well as the Baby Bjorn---what are your opinions??

Also--

Is the Ergo only inward facing?
    Are they both appropriate for a newborn to 6 mo old?

Sorry if any of these questions are dumb...never done this before..

the Beco Gemini sounds like your best bet. Sturdy soft structured carrier (SSC) with option to forward face.

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The Bjorn is great for newborns. There are always a million on craigslist. The Bjorn is horrible for heavier babies, say over 12-15 lbs, since there's no waist support and all the weight hangs on your shoulders. The Bjorn can be either inward or outward facing, but front carry only.

I loved the Ergo for past the newborn stage. To use it for a newborn you need to buy an insert, which I never did. The Ergo is only inward facing, but can be either front or back carry.

However, some kids have their own preferences that don't line up with the parents'! My DD loved the Bjorn but hated the Ergo. In your shoes, I'd probably get a used Bjorn & then wait until it started being uncomfortable & see if there's a place around you that does carrier workshops where you and the baby can go try out different carriers to see what works for you. I live in a pretty small town and there's one baby store that does carrier workshops, so depending on what part of the country you live in this might be a nice option.

Oh, and both the Ergo and the Beco are appropriate for newborns. They both have a newborn insert that you remove when they get to about 15lbs. The Beco carrier comes with the newborn insert, the Ergo's is additional. The price reflects that too.

Kaylee31 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm also 23 weeks-- Congrats!
    I was never successful w/babywearing the first time around. I had a ring sling which was ok, and a Baby Bjorn that DS never seemed comfortable in. And of course once he got heavier, it was uncomfortable for me to wear and hurt my back. I also wasn't aware that the Bjorn is sometimes thought to be harmful for babies b/c of the pressure it puts on their hips & spine. I've since heard it & similar carriers (like Snuglies, etc.) referred to as "crotch danglers".
    This time I plan on getting a Beco Butterfly (another SSC), which is newborn-friendly, but doesn't have the option to face out.
    Here is a good comparison of the Ergo & Bjorn: http://www.myfavoritebabycarrier.com...aby_bjorn.html
    I'd suggest either getting a carrier from a local store, or online from Amazon, so you can return it if it doesn't work for you.
    DS - 07/09 - Mr. Tempermental
    DD - 02/12 - Dollface
    New arrival expected 06/14

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by rin View Post
    The Bjorn is great for newborns. There are always a million on craigslist. The Bjorn is horrible for heavier babies, say over 12-15 lbs, since there's no waist support and all the weight hangs on your shoulders. The Bjorn can be either inward or outward facing, but front carry only.

I loved the Ergo for past the newborn stage. To use it for a newborn you need to buy an insert, which I never did. The Ergo is only inward facing, but can be either front or back carry.

However, some kids have their own preferences that don't line up with the parents'! My DD loved the Bjorn but hated the Ergo. In your shoes, I'd probably get a used Bjorn & then wait until it started being uncomfortable & see if there's a place around you that does carrier workshops where you and the baby can go try out different carriers to see what works for you. I live in a pretty small town and there's one baby store that does carrier workshops, so depending on what part of the country you live in this might be a nice option.

Agreed. I had a Bjorn and a Beco. The Beco was awesome once ds2 got to be heavier than about 15lbs. The Bjorn is simpler to use, imo (just remember that you have it right when you can kiss the top of their head while in the carrier- so many people do that wrong). I always kept the Bjorn done up on one side so I could just slide the baby right in after I put it on.

The Beco was just great for effortless carrying. It felt good and comfortable. I used it as a front carry and a back carry. Unfortunately I never mastered gtting him on my back without help but with help it was a nice option.

I got my $'s worth out of both of them.

Beth

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Beco butterfly, Beco Gemini, Pikkolo, and Ergo are all great options for soft structured carriers. The Portable Baby has a great comparison on their site. I use both a sling and a Beco for my newborn and love my Pikkolo too.

I personally don't think a Bjorn is worth it for the short lifespan and discomfort for parent. And the babies in them look really uncomfortable to me.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

Pilotbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BayGirl2 View Post
    Beco butterfly, Beco Gemini, Pikkolo, and Ergo are all great options for soft structured carriers. The Portable Baby has a great comparison on their site. I use both a sling and a Beco for my newborn and love my Pikkolo too.

I personally don't think a Bjorn is worth it for the short lifespan and discomfort for parent. And the babies in them look really uncomfortable to me.
    I am looking at all of the options that you have Amy. Can you tell me which one is the coolest? Am worried about wearing the baby for long periods of time in the summer and both of us getting too hot.
    Thank you!

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Ergo for sure!
    I like the moby wrap for newborns
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Another rec for the ergo. I still carry my 3+ year old in it, on my back. He's not a small one either--well over 35 pounds. He still loves it. I can carry him over a mile on my back in it. It's just that well made and has a great hip strap.

The ergo also allows for a side carry.
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast