Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ergo vs. bjorn

mjs64 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I had a Baby K'Tan (stretchy wrap) for DS as a newborn and a Beco Gemini (can be used with a newborn). Love them both! Gemini was not too hot in the SoCal summer, not at all.
    My baby boy is 3!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I really recommend finding a baby wearing group, like pp mentioned. I bought an Ergo and it turns out it was way too bulky for my frame and it rubbed my arms. I was able to return it but I wish I had tried it. After that I found a baby wearing group (might have been called NINO- Nine In Nine Out) and it was awesome. Moms who knew how to baby wear and had a gazillion carriers to try on (and borrow if you were a member).

Beth

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilotbaby View Post
    I am looking at all of the options that you have Amy. Can you tell me which one is the coolest? Am worried about wearing the baby for long periods of time in the summer and both of us getting too hot.
    Thank you!
    When babywearing in the summertime, dress lightly to try and temper the body heat-to-body heat of baby & mama.

You might want to look into an Ergo Performance (which is not cotton, but made from tech fabric, so it wicks perspiration away) if you're super-concerned with heat or if you're in a hotter climate:

http://www.quirkybaby.com/ergo-baby-...ance-grey.html

The only thing that really stinks about an Ergo is the newborn insert sold nowadays is super-bulky and I'd have used it a lot more with a late-fall or early winter baby, but my DD was an end-of-winter baby, so it was pretty useless for us. I much preferred my woven wrap for most of her infancy!!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I am looking at all of the options that you have Amy. Can you tell me which one is the coolest? Am worried about wearing the baby for long periods of time in the summer and both of us getting too hot.
    Thank you!
    I own a collection, so here are my thoughts. I went to a babywearers meeting to try on SSCs before buying one. I probably would have gotten an Ergo, but the straps felt to bulky for me, so I got a Pikkolo first. Later got a Beco because I found a deal and liked it for back carries. My DH also uses all of them. I like/use all that I have, but here are my opinions:

Pikkolo - super easy to use. Like it for 4+ months old for facing out and in on front. Works for back carries but a bit harder to get on back. Still use it for our 2 yo. Haven't tried it for a newborn, but it should work. Easiest to BF in and maybe the coolest SSC because there's no inner fabric.

Beco Butterfly II - Like the inside pouch to help hoist them into a back carry. Newborn insert is built in. Straps are more complicated to figure out but offer a lot of flexibility. I've been using this for shopping with my newborn, but at 5 weeks just took out the insert, she's already tall enough to use the main pouch. DD gets me very sweaty in it but she sleeps so well in there!

Pouch Sling - Keep these in our diaper bags for quick in and out. Useful around the house too. Use for newborn cradle carry, kangaroo carry for older infant, and hip carry for the toddler. My favorite brand is SlingLings. The coolest option IMO, but not as good for longer outings since its asymmetrical.

Moby D - Wrap works best for smaller babies. Ideally if you wrap it in the morning you can pop the baby in and out throughout the day. I admit I don't use mine enough to make it worthwhile. Hot in warm weather.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've had a Original Ergo, Ergo Sport, woven wrap, Beco Butterfly, a ring sling and a pouch sling. I borrowed a Bjorn and my shoulders KILLED me after using it for an hour.

DD1 liked the Ring sling when she was a newborn and I started using the Ergo and then Beco when she was around 4 or 5 months. I was never happy with the inserts in either of them. I preferred the Ergo over the Beco because it fit me better so I ended up selling the Beco.

With DD2 I used the woven wrap (I didn't have it for DD1) until she was 4 or 5 months and then moved over to the Ergo Sport. She didn't like the sling at all. At first I was intimidated by the wrap but it is actually dead easy once you get the hang of it.
    I traded the Original Ergo for the Ergo Sport because it has a longer waist belt and the shoulder straps can extend further so it fit me and my giant husband better.
    So basically, it depends on your body and the preference of the baby.

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a Pikkolo. I love it. Also loved, Baby Hawk Mei Tai.

The Ergo did not work for me in a big way. I wouldn't recommend the Bjorn to anyone I know whose back I care about. Awful.

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm another mama who is against the bjorn...it hurt a lot! I wouldn't waste my money on one. I love wraps for new babies, and a nice structured carrier for an older baby (beco, pikkolo, ergo, etc).

We have a Bjorn and and Ergo, and my first two outgrew the Bjorn within a few months, but DD2 is still such a peanut (13 lbs) that I can still use it fairly comfortably at 7 months. Our Ergo is easier on the back, but you do have to wait to use it if you don't want to deal with the infant insert.

Just borrowed a friend's Pikkolo and LOVED it! Seems the best of both worlds. If I didn't already had two, I would buy one.
    Sharing advice/encouragement for homeschoolers at Homeschooling for Normal People

Pilotbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BayGirl2 View Post
    I own a collection, so here are my thoughts. I went to a babywearers meeting to try on SSCs before buying one. I probably would have gotten an Ergo, but the straps felt to bulky for me, so I got a Pikkolo first. Later got a Beco because I found a deal and liked it for back carries. My DH also uses all of them. I like/use all that I have, but here are my opinions:

Pikkolo - super easy to use. Like it for 4+ months old for facing out and in on front. Works for back carries but a bit harder to get on back. Still use it for our 2 yo. Haven't tried it for a newborn, but it should work. Easiest to BF in and maybe the coolest SSC because there's no inner fabric.

Beco Butterfly II - Like the inside pouch to help hoist them into a back carry. Newborn insert is built in. Straps are more complicated to figure out but offer a lot of flexibility. I've been using this for shopping with my newborn, but at 5 weeks just took out the insert, she's already tall enough to use the main pouch. DD gets me very sweaty in it but she sleeps so well in there!

Pouch Sling - Keep these in our diaper bags for quick in and out. Useful around the house too. Use for newborn cradle carry, kangaroo carry for older infant, and hip carry for the toddler. My favorite brand is SlingLings. The coolest option IMO, but not as good for longer outings since its asymmetrical.

Moby D - Wrap works best for smaller babies. Ideally if you wrap it in the morning you can pop the baby in and out throughout the day. I admit I don't use mine enough to make it worthwhile. Hot in warm weather.
    Thank you Amy. This is such great information. You are the second person who has mentioned the ease of the pikkolo. That is one of my greatest concerns b/c my husband will be gone much of the first year and I need to be able to get the baby in and out. Also considering the Beco Gemini- in your experience, do you think that one is as easy to use? Thank you again!!!

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thank you Amy. This is such great information. You are the second person who has mentioned the ease of the pikkolo. That is one of my greatest concerns b/c my husband will be gone much of the first year and I need to be able to get the baby in and out. Also considering the Beco Gemini- in your experience, do you think that one is as easy to use? Thank you again!!!
    I haven't tried the Gemini, it came out after I bought my others and I've resisted shopping for more. If its like the Butterfly, it would be good to use alone because its easier to get into a back carry. The Butterfly is more complicated but very adjustable once you figure it out. Does the Gemini have a similar pouch inside? If so, I think it may be the best of both worlds.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast