HonoluluMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Shoes - going up full size or half size?

DD's feet are growing so fast. Right now, she's in a Stride Rite 7.5 and I measured her feet recently and they're now an 8. She's only been in her 7.5 shoes for only about 3-4 months.

Does it make sense to buy one size up or half a size?

I would do a full size. Most other toddler brands are only offered in full sizes and kids do fine in those, right? I don't think buying halfs is worth it when their feet are growing so fast.

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS is almost 4, he's always used Stride Rites and we always go up in full sizes. He's had no issues with that.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

The really good shoe store in town here suggests that you always go up a full size when replacing kids shoes. Whether you need a full or half size (5 vs. 5.5) just depends on where you were when you started or if you have a specific need to change sooner/later.

IOW, Ds2 was first measured by them as 5.5W, they said he shouldn't need new shoes until he was ready for a 6.5W (and that we should revisit whether he needs a W, XW or medium at each visit in the toddler/pre-school years since that can change too).
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

I'm not sure how you are buying the new shoes but I find that every company fits up to half a size differently. I just ordered shoes online & made sure to order several sizes so I could see how each shoe fit her. There wass quite a difference in fit between the different sizes we've tried on in the past few days.
    ~Shanamama

Mommy's girl- 10 years old!!
    Daddy's girl- turning 7!!
    monkey boy- 3 years old now!!

Wacky typos brought to you by autocorrect.

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think it depends on the brand. I know that My DD cannot go up a full size in tsukhioshi b/c they run big. Half size up is really ample (like not outgrowing for 9 months ample). However, other shoes she is fit a full size bigger. For example, she just got a pair of naturino tie ankle boots and they are a full size bigger than her foot measures. It also depends on how fast a child's foot grows. My DS (from the very first pair of shoes he had, averages 9-11 months in a shoe--he is not hard on his shoes at all which helps.). DS has, only once, outgrown shoes in less than 3 months. Buying a 1/2 size bigger for DS is plenty. DD was outgrowing shoes every 2.5-3 months. She has since slowed and now lasts about 6-8 months in a pair of shoes.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

I usually go up a full size. Just make sure she can still walk in them okay and they're not falling off her feet.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)