Thread: AAC Device

Default AAC Device

My DS is non-verbal and has global delays but does not have a diagnosis. He does not have autism. We believe he will benefit having an AAC device. At school he has been responding well to picture cards. But I have yet to implement it at home.

Since he does not have autism or a diagnosis, I feel like we are not part of any specific special needs community. So I'm hoping to get some advice as to where to get started.

Should we first find an SPL that uses the device? Our current one does not and has been talking about a difference app on the android. But I think iPad/iOS will have more options.

Should we can an iPad? And does it matter how much memory we should get, using these apps? What apps?

How has your experience been to integrate the iPad into your child's life?

Any websites that you have found to be most helpful?

Thanks in advance

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm trying to get an ipad for one of my client kiddos. Sorry, we haven't received it yet so I don't have any BTDT advice.

I can tell you: one of my best friends has cerebral palsy. She can speak so that a *I* can understand, but is essentially non-verbal to a stranger. She recently ditched her fancy voice-output communication device and purchased an ipad. She loves it!!!

I am excited - these devices have so much potential. And one thing I really love is that there's no stigma attached to using them. They are 100% normal and super-cool. I hope your son has great luck with his!

This doesn't address your actual question, but: I've learned a huge amount from the Dynavox company. Your boy isn't looking at Dynavox, obviously, but their webite has tons of great information about voice-output devices in general, how to use them, how to program and integrate them into natural daily life. I think it's just dynavox.com, but you could google it.

I assume you've tested him and confirmed that he has the motor skills to use the touch screen interface? That has been the main stumbling block for some I know...

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009

Thank you for your response.

When you say, you are trying to get one for a client, is this through insurance? I was kind of assuming that this is something we would have to acquire on our own. Are there other methods?

That's a good point about motor skills about a touch screen. I'm not sure if he will be precise, but I would consider the device to be a substitute for cards and offer choices of 2 or 3 images at a time.

I don't have experience with one of these (though I do with picture cards, they have been very helpful with dc), so these are just random thoughts. If it would benefit him at school, can it be written into his IEP? If so the school would need to provide it for the time he is with them. For one at home, would your speech language pathologist or doctor be able to write a prescription for one? Insurance might then cover it. (We tried this for something and it didn't work through our insurance at that point.) If it is something he needs but you are not able to afford it, an agency like The ARC, Kiwanis, or Jaycees might help you purchase one or purchase one for you. Something to look into.
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

melrose7 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Regarding the AAC and who to use it with... It is recommended if you get an AAC app you should have an SLP that is trained with them teach you how to use it and have her incorporate it to his sessions. My DD1 is non verbal, mostly, and has an autism diagnosis. We were able to have our state cover the cost of the iPad because of her diagnosis and what it was going to be used for, communication and educational purposes. I know there are some grants available to receive one if insurance wouldn't cover it. It has been great for her! There are so many areas to can get apps for to work with your son. We have had it since March and she is starting to combine 2 words together and can do puzzles, on the iPad and floor puzzles, answer questions about a story being read.
    My DD1 using it at school as the school doesn't have one for her, or any of the other students to use. They keep requesting it but so far denied. But at the beginning of the school year 5 kids came in with their own iPads.
    Promoting inclusiveness from within the special needs community
    "Just Include Everybody"
    includestephanie.com
    Stephanie's Shirt Shop on Facebook and Instagram

Mom to
    DD1 7-3-05
    DD2 7-5-07
    DS1 3-23-10