Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    newmomto1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default If you DON'T wash your hair every day....

I have always washed my hair every day.
    I have thick, coarse, unevenly wavy/colicky dark hair and it's a production.
    Every morning I wash, dry, flat iron....

Due to the fact that it's time consuming I would like to find a way to *maybe* wash every other day....even though the thought of it kind of grosses me out.

I have been reading about dry shampoos. Also read some ppl use baby powder or cornstarch in their hair between washes?

If you do not wash your hair every day....please tell me what you use and how you use it, and if it works well.

Also, I do think I will need to touch up with a flat iron....would I do that before or after applying dry shampoo / powder??

TIA!!!!

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I usually apply a little Burt's Bees dusting powder to roots only, then brush out and flat iron.
    I don't think it's gross. Washing every day with chemically shampoos is tough on hair.
    But my hair did take a week or two to adjust..... felt greasy. Somehow once I got into the routine, it looked and felt better.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If your hair is not greasy, you don't need to dry shampoo it, every other day is perfectly healthy. If it looks messy, you might need to blow it or flat iron it a bit to perk it up a bit but that's all I did when I'd wash every other, which I did if I blowed it out straight (for leaving it curly I wash every day).

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Um so I wash my hair every 3-4 days when I am not working out (aka traveling for work). I um don't do anything. It doesn't seem gross to me at all. I do shower. My hair looks BEST 1-2 days after washing (unless I work out).
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    Um so I wash my hair every 3-4 days when I am not working out (aka traveling for work). I um don't do anything. It doesn't seem gross to me at all. I do shower. My hair looks BEST 1-2 days after washing (unless I work out).
    /hillary
    Especially my hair looking good after 1-2 days! I say "Second Day Hair" is my best hair! All summer this has been my routine.

Day 1: wash hair and don't dry. My hair is very wavy so it goes all naturally curly. I got SO many compliments on it, I couldn't believe it!

Day 2: see how it looks, maybe just brush or maybe flat iron. The curl will be gone after sleeping on it.

Day 3: definitely needs a flat iron to make it all even.

Day 4: Evaluate. Wash if greasy. If not, wait one more day. Also depends on what was going on that day and how lazy I was feeling!!

I have to figure out what I'll do in the winter. Wearing a hat makes it greasy/too flat to even spruce up a little. And the whole not-drying in winter thing kinda bugs me.

You can do it OP!!! I used to be in the wash every day camp, and this is so much better.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I wash every other day unless I go for a run and get really sweaty. I don't use any other products on my hair the second day.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I wash mine every 3 or 4 days too, and it looks and feels better. Part of my choice is age (at 42, it needs the natural oils/shine) and part of it is time. Mine is long (past shoulders) and naturally curly/wavy. First day I wash and blow dry with a defuser (and put lots of product in with a leave in conditioner spray, a styling creme and a shine oil mixed so it looks curlier and also has shine). I do work out every day but braid it tightly and while it gets wet from sweat, I don't rewash it. After working out I will towel dry it a bit and maybe blow dry it a bit more. I tend to sleep with it braided to keep it out of my face and put more curl in it, and leave the braids in when showering. So second day I wear it curly too. Third day I either flat iron it a bit if I want to look a little glam, or more often just pull it back into a pony tail. Then wash it that night or next morning. It really is easy and my hairdresser has always convinced me it is so much better for my hair.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I usually wash my hair every other day too. Sometime I can stretch it out and go three days but usually every other is best. I wash, dry (air or blow dry depending on available time) and flat iron it the first day and the second day I just brush it and go.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

joules is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I just bought a bottle of dry shampoo based on this review: http://www.thelooksforless.com/2011/...hampoo-review/

I used it once. It takes some getting used to. You have to spray from far away. Any closer and you get white stuff in your hair. And it leaves your hair smelling nice, but there's also some sort of texture-y stuff....almost like too much hairspray. Looks nice....but doesn't feel nice.

I don't wash my hair everyday. I try to do it every other day.
    DS1 - 03/10
    DS2 - 02/12

peanut520 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I try to go 3-4 days between washes, but usually 2-3 day because it will depend on my schedule if i can get away with 3-4 hair. i have long fine hair that is thinning a bit so afer day 2 my scalp show more than i like so i usually have to do a pony tail. i use burt's dusting powder as needed and bush it out if i go day 3 or 4 and i have fabulous volume even for a pony tail.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast