Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    Um so I wash my hair every 3-4 days when I am not working out (aka traveling for work). I um don't do anything. It doesn't seem gross to me at all. I do shower. My hair looks BEST 1-2 days after washing (unless I work out).
    /hillary
    - and OP, especially if you have wavy/curly hair I would strongly suggest trying to avoid sulfates in your shampoo, and if you get a moment take a look at the naturallycurly.com website. Ironically, the more you strip your hair of its natural moisture then it just tries to compensate by making more oils, so you actually end up with greasier hair if you wash it constantly with harsh shampoo. The best advice I heard was to treat your hair the way you would treat a cashmere sweater!
    Crunchy Brit mama to one little trigglet - 03/2010
    ...and two miniature schnauzers.
    Only one of the above gets to ride in Al!

Plus one more due 03/13!

LexyLou is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm with some of the others. My hair is so dry and coarse that it usually looks better on day 2 then it does on day 1. Sometimes by day 3 it needs a little dry shampoo. I use Rene Furter, or it goes in a ponytail.

I really only wash my hair 2-3 times a week...even with working out. It's just such a hassle and my hair rarely looks greasy, so why bother.
    Alexis
    DD #1-9/26/05
    DD #2-8/14/07

Pear is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I typically wash every other day and don't do anything on off days. My hair actually looks and feels better on the second day. If life gets in the way and I end up going an extra day I do feel a little greasy and will sometimes throw in just a touch of baby powder and brush it out. I've been meaning to grab some dry shampoo for these occasions, but it happens so seldom that it is hard to justify buying yet another product.

My hair is much healthier since I stopped washing daily.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Trigglet View Post
    Ironically, the more you strip your hair of its natural moisture then it just tries to compensate by making more oils, so you actually end up with greasier hair if you wash it constantly with harsh shampoo.
    ITA. There is a transition period for lots of people as they stop stripping all of the natural oils with chemicals every day. Once their hair doesn't have to pump out those extra oils to compensate, it doesn't look greasy anymore.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I wash my hair 2-3 times per week. I think the key is to use a sulfate free shampoo (I'm using purology but have used burt's bees in the past) and a -cone free conditioner. I use very little conditioner so I have been buying cheap stuff from the drugstore. Off the top of my head, most V05 is -cone free. So is Tressame 'natural' and Garnier pure and clean. you can read the ingredient lists - you want to avoid anything that ends in -cone (silicone, dimethicone, etc).

I don't think my hair looks that greasy. if it does, i use a little dry shampoo on day 3 if necessary.

g-mama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I wash mine every two or three days. I just started skipping days about a year ago and I can't believe now that I thought I had to wash/dry/style it every day for my entire adult life. So unnecessary!

I don't need any products to make it look good the second and third day. I do usually curl it with a big curling iron on the first day and I might touch it up with the curling iron on days 2 and 3, but it still holds the curl even if I don't.
    Kristen
    mama to 3 wild and crazy boys - ages 16, 13 and 11

Quote Originally Posted by g-mama View Post
    I wash mine every two or three days. I just started skipping days about a year ago and I can't believe now that I thought I had to wash/dry/style it every day for my entire adult life. So unnecessary!

I don't need any products to make it look good the second and third day. I do usually curl it with a big curling iron on the first day and I might touch it up with the curling iron on days 2 and 3, but it still holds the curl even if I don't.
    This is me exactly.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I wash my hair every 2 or 3 days. I don't use anything between washes. The second day is fine. The third day is a bit of a stretch but is fine if I pull it back.

mommyp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I wash my hair every 2 or 3 days. I don't use anything between washes. The second day is fine. The third day is a bit of a stretch but is fine if I pull it back.
    DD January 2008
    DS September 2011

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    This is me exactly. I used to go 4 days but it's just too much. 2-3 days is perfect. 2nd day hair is best because "first day hair" SUCKS for me. If I have an event, I make sure I have washed my hair the day before or I have to put product in to make it look like it was washed the day before.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast