Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    newmomto1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for all the replies!
    I am going to give it a shot.
    I have some dry shampoo (batiste) that I bought the other day...and I picked up some Burts Bees Dusting Powder today.
    I do feel like I will need to use *something* to freshen it up bc my hair looks so flat, blah, and crazy pieces sticking out all over when I wake up in the morning.
    Hope I can do it!

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by newmomto1 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies!
    I am going to give it a shot.
    I have some dry shampoo (batiste) that I bought the other day...and I picked up some Burts Bees Dusting Powder today.
    I do feel like I will need to use *something* to freshen it up bc my hair looks so flat, blah, and crazy pieces sticking out all over when I wake up in the morning.
    Hope I can do it!
    You may find that isn't the case once your hair "adjusts" a bit to the new routine.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Until recently my hair always looked better on day 2. Day 1 it was a bit frizzy and day 2 it was smooth, shiny but not greasy looking. So, I never did anything to it on day 2 (no dry shampoo, baby powder...).

Beth

I go 3 days between washing, once in awhile 4 days. My stylist was the one who recommended it - she goes 5-6 days, and said the less you shampoo, the healthier your hair will be. She mentioned cornstarch but said it is best for blondes (I'm not), as it just looks dandruff-y on brunettes. I switched slowly, first to every other day, then to every 3rd day. I do not use dry shampoo or any other product.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MommyAllison View Post
    I go 3 days between washing, once in awhile 4 days. My stylist was the one who recommended it - she goes 5-6 days, and said the less you shampoo, the healthier your hair will be. She mentioned cornstarch but said it is best for blondes (I'm not), as it just looks dandruff-y on brunettes. I switched slowly, first to every other day, then to every 3rd day. I do not use dry shampoo or any other product.
    My stylist got me started too, she has hair that is like my texture, but curlier (mine is more kinky/wavy). I can go a week. No kidding. I have really really thick course hair.

I am also convinced that this strategy (plus being serious about preventing sun damage) has kept my skin pretty wrinkle-free for a 42-year old. I just think our bodies just aren't made for all the washing we first world people do.
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

Just start slow. Start washing your hair every other day. Then after a couple weeks go every third day and see how it goes. I did that a couple of years ago and now I only have to wash my hair once a week. To be honest I actually tried going without shampoo all together (google shampoo free) but it didn't work out for me. I am convinced my hair was just too thick and long to wash with water alone. I don't mind though since only shampooing once a week has made the experience totally worth it.
    AF wife and SAHM of three
    DS(2007.March) DD(2009.July) DS(2012.December)

I used to be a wash every single day gal, but I've converted to an every other day schedule and I think it looks fine.

My hair has actually dried out as I've gotten older, plus we have really hard water and I think washing every other day with a sulfate-free shampoo has helped.

I have long (almost mid-back length) straight hair. Lots of it, but fine in texture. I've been toying with the idea of a dry shampoo to see if I can stretch to every three days, but I haven't done it yet.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

I do every other day but just started this a few months ago after washing every night my entire adult life. I can't help but think much longer than that would start feeling icky though. Doesn't your hair start to smell after a while like clothing does when it absorbing cooking odors? After I cook with garlic or onions I feel like my hair must stink.
    SAHM to:

Quote Originally Posted by momof2girls View Post
    Doesn't your hair start to smell after a while like clothing does when it absorbing cooking odors? After I cook with garlic or onions I feel like my hair must stink.
    The only smell I can ever detect is smoke. Otherwise you would be surprised. Hair basically smells the same no matter how long you go without washing it.
    AF wife and SAHM of three
    DS(2007.March) DD(2009.July) DS(2012.December)

ok i def wash everyday, so i have a question --- if you don't wash your hair every day, do you still wet it during your shower? and then let it dry or style, or what not? thanks!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast