3isEnough is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Smelly, moldy kitchen sink drains

I don't think I've ever had this problem in the past, but maybe it was because I always had a bi-weekly cleaning woman and a babysitter coming regularly who were secretly cleaning it?

Anyway, both of my kitchen drains smell and seem moldy on a regular basis. I've tried pouring vinegar & baking soda down both sides and letting it sit, spraying Tilex with bleach, and scrubbing w/ soap & water, but the mold and small always seem to be there. It's especially true on the side with the garbage disposal with those rubber flaps. This is gross, but every time I make pasta for my kids and drain it over that side of the sink, as the boiling water goes down the drain I instantly smell mold coming up from the sink (and I imagine, "infecting" the innocent pasta sitting there in the colander).

So what's your regular kitchen sink maintenance to avoid this kind of thing? Do you scrub daily and if so, with what? Any other regular maintenance?

My guess is that mold is growing on the underside of the disposal flaps. I would use a scrub brush of some kind to get the whole thing clean. And I would probably follow up by deliberately pouring boiling water down both drains.

Catherine

Mermanaid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It's most likely just gunk built up under and around the flaps of the garbage disposal. I usually scrub it and then put half a lemon or lime down the disposal to help it smell better.
    Jenn

My loves:
    DD 11/2004
    DS 6/2007

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would get a new toilet type brush and use it to clean the disposal side of the sink.
    DS 2/09

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

All of the above. I also put ice and lemon down the disposal - supposed to help keep the blades sharp.

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I like to put a lemon in the disposal. Keeps it fresh.

3isEnough is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for all of the input. I hadn't thought of using a clean toilet brush to clean out the disposal flaps and gunk in there, that's a good idea. And I'll start doing the ice and lemon routine, hopefully a good scrub and semi-regular attention to it will rid us of the smell and gunk.