Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default S/O: Any experience with SPD- Symphisis Pubis Dysfunction?

My other post about muscle pain taught me that I probably have SPD. If anyone else had it I'd love to hear how it was diagnosed & what you did to treat it/ relieve the pain. Also, did it resolve or last throughout the pregnancy?
    ~Shanamama

Mommy's girl- 10 years old!!
    Daddy's girl- turning 7!!
    monkey boy- 3 years old now!!

Wacky typos brought to you by autocorrect.

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've had SPD with my last 3 pregnancies. It was diagnosed with my 2nd pregnancy by my OB who told me that it's very painful and there's nothing to do about it. I switched OBs after that pregnancy, but in the meantime I got a support belt that helped with me walking around during the day, and I braced myself with a body pillow or my hands when I needed to turn over or sit up in bed. It lasted throughout the pregnancy with all 3, but for some reason it was much more manageable with number 4 (which is good because with that one I had separation of my sacroiliac joint instead and that took months of pp pt to resolve.)

I've had it twice I didn't really know what to do about it, other than wearing a pregnancy support band to alleviate some of the weight (which did help), using a body pillow in bed, and laying around alot, walking carefully. It was miserable.

Wanted you to know you are not alone!
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

todzwife is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

oh I just wanted to say, I am SO SO SOOOOOOO Sorry...it's so incredibly painful. It's like bring ripped in half!
    Shandelle
    Proud mom to Dallin 10/03 Maddie 1/06 Zoey 4/10 Sadie 7/13

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Had it with my first two, and actually separated during DS2's birth. The pain was horrendous following the separation, and I was not treated properly. Finally I found a great PT who put me back together again. I did not have any issues at all while pg with the twins, and they were over 14lbs combined, so that says a lot!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had it twice, too. Worse the second time around. I saw a chiro every 4 weeks, and made sure to keep my legs together as much as possible -- sit backside first into the car and swing legs in together, put pants on while sitting on the bed, etc.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I had it in my third pregnancy.

I would 2nd the suggestion for physical therapy. If you can find a women's health physical therapist, that would be ideal.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm not sure, but I think I might have this problem too. About a month and a half ago, my sacroiliac joint went out of socket and I was in severe pain for several days until it clicked back in (literally, I felt the click). While it was out, it was so bad that my left hip looked about an inch higher than my right one. It was awful.

Not long after that, I started to feel a strange feeling in my groin that kind of feels like a pulled muscle. It's not debilitating, but I can feel it most when I lift one leg up high, like when I put my pants on. I am planning to talk to my OB about it next week when I go in. Does this sound like it might be connected to my sacroiliac problems? It does hurt sometimes when I turn over in bed, and the last time DH and I DTD, when we were done it was really painful from having my legs spread (sorry TMI), and of course he felt awful. I didn't really notice the pain in the middle of DTD, but it was terrible afterwards when I tried to stand up.

The other thing I've worried about is that this is hernia related. I was born with a double hernia in my groin area and had surgery when I was 5 years old, and I'm worried that somehow there's a problem, but maybe it's this SPD thing.

Anyway, will talk to the OB next week, but do you guys think this is possibly what is happening to me?
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post
    I'm not sure, but I think I might have this problem too. About a month and a half ago, my sacroiliac joint went out of socket and I was in severe pain for several days until it clicked back in (literally, I felt the click). While it was out, it was so bad that my left hip looked about an inch higher than my right one. It was awful.

Not long after that, I started to feel a strange feeling in my groin that kind of feels like a pulled muscle. It's not debilitating, but I can feel it most when I lift one leg up high, like when I put my pants on. I am planning to talk to my OB about it next week when I go in. Does this sound like it might be connected to my sacroiliac problems? It does hurt sometimes when I turn over in bed, and the last time DH and I DTD, when we were done it was really painful from having my legs spread (sorry TMI), and of course he felt awful. I didn't really notice the pain in the middle of DTD, but it was terrible afterwards when I tried to stand up.

The other thing I've worried about is that this is hernia related. I was born with a double hernia in my groin area and had surgery when I was 5 years old, and I'm worried that somehow there's a problem, but maybe it's this SPD thing.

Anyway, will talk to the OB next week, but do you guys think this is possibly what is happening to me?
    Honestly that could be all SI joint related. My therapist told me that I will probably have the same SI joint problem with every subsequent pregnancy. She said that until I would be 16 weeks, I should wear the brace I have now, and after that I should come back to her because she has something else for me. I don't know what that is because I'm not pregnant. It definitely couldn't hurt to get a prescription to see a PT though.

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've got my OB appointment next week, so I'm going to ask about all this. The concept of not being able to really spread my legs wide during delivery is a big frightening to me. I know this isn't for everyone, but I was very happy with my epidural last time, and will want to get one again, but it definitely limits your positioning for birth.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast