Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Do You Size Up For Big Kid Coats and How Much

I have always sized up for toddler coats so they would get a little more wear out of it. What about for big kids? I would think that an older kid would get a little frustrated with a huge jacket. DS1's winter jacket is like a half shirt (it fit him about a month ago when we tried it on). It is a Patagonia size XS (5/6). I will probably get him something from LLB and can't figure out if I should stick with the 6x/7 or go with the 8. He is probably 46 inches and 42 pounds.

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, I do. But, my kids growth spurts will happen in the middle of the season, so I want to make sure it's not December/January with a coat that is now to small.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

I would go with the 6/7 you would be surprised how much bigger the 8 is. LE Little Kid Large might be a good size. I don't know how warm of a coat you need but I just got DS this one and he and I both really like it.
    http://www.landsend.com/pp/FleeceJac...s&origin=index
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

LIke I said before, I normally size up. BUT, if the coat runs big I do not. DS is wearing a columbia sportswear coat that does not run big. I sized up and this is his second winter in the coat.

DD wears a six. When the size is a 5/6 I do size up to a 7/8 b/c in our expierence so far with the brands we get, the 5/6 will not last the season. FWIW, we got a hand me down winter coat this year (size 8). It's tiny. The sleeves were even to short. I think it was mislabeled b/c no way was it an 8.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by katydid1971 View Post
    I would go with the 6/7 you would be surprised how much bigger the 8 is. LE Little Kid Large might be a good size. I don't know how warm of a coat you need but I just got DS this one and he and I both really like it.
    http://www.landsend.com/pp/FleeceJac...s&origin=index
    I just wonder if the 8 is going to be really big, especially because it's in the real kid sizes. He is nowhere near the recommended heights, like three inches short.
    Quote Originally Posted by HIU8 View Post
    LIke I said before, I normally size up. BUT, if the coat runs big I do not. DS is wearing a columbia sportswear coat that does not run big. I sized up and this is his second winter in the coat.

DD wears a six. When the size is a 5/6 I do size up to a 7/8 b/c in our expierence so far with the brands we get, the 5/6 will not last the season. FWIW, we got a hand me down winter coat this year (size 8). It's tiny. The sleeves were even to short. I think it was mislabeled b/c no way was it an 8.
    IMO, LE runs on the larger side and LLB and Patagonia run on the smaller side. My tiny three year old is wearing and LLB Size 4 right now. The sleeves are long and it fits more parka like than the jacket it is supposed to be, but it is good for winters here.

I think I am going to try the 6x/7. Even if he wears it only one winter, it will be passed down to two different kids, because they are such different sizes.

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Ds1 has a growth spurt late Nov of every year. But, I won't be sizing up now that he has entered the bigger kid sizes.

In fact, he has been wearing a size 7 in Land's End (he needs a 5-6 or 6) and Dh has been complaining that it is clearly too big/cumbersome for him to really play and get around.

So, IME, a size 5/6 or 6 is much smaller than a size 7, at least at LE.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).