bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Jeans buying strategies for moms of multiple boys...

I have three boys. My oldest gets holes in every single pair of pants he wears. I have yet to find an exception. That said, I usually buy cheap pants. I have pants from Old Navy, Children's Place, Penney's, Target, etc. and they all (even his Church pants!) get holes! If I bought "higher end" would it even make a difference?

Anyone else with this problem? I was so frustrated to discover his last pair of intact jeans now have a hole. He has ZERO pairs of pants without patches. If I could find pants that last, I'm thinking it might be worth the investment as his two brothers will be wearing them as well.

cono0507 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DS got holes in the knees of every single pair last year.
    This year, I bought iron-on patches. I'm planning to iron them onto the inside of the pants over the knees to reinforce them before they get a chance to get holes. Will see if this works!

infocrazy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Watching. DS1 has NO jeans right now. He wears a lot of hand-me-downs from our friends but I swear that kid must walk on his knees on the concrete!

I don't like the look of patches, but I didn't think about putting them on the inside... It is too late for the ones he has now, but maybe I'll do that for the new ones.

I am kicking myself now but our Costco had Levi jeans a few weeks ago and I got a pair for DS2. Now they only have 8 and up, but I need 5 and 6...boo.
    Jen

DS in X-Small 7/12, Medium 5/07, and Large 7/05, one DD 3/10, and our DS 4/09 watching over us.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I buy Polo and Boden jeans for my kids. So far so good. They still look great, no holes and we have been handing them down to DS2.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Lands End climber pants are really good for not wearing out at the knees. They have jeans ones. If they do wear out, LE stands behind its clothes with a guarantee. You can often get good sales.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Higher end pants don't solve the problem. You need to look for styles with double knees.

My solution to your same problem is LE Trekker pants (double knee, even the jeans), HA double knee cargos and Boden double knee sweatpants. DS1 wore the LE ones when he was little and they have been recommended here again and again. I think they are super comfy for him because he even likes the jeans. I like how you can tighten the belt and roll the legs so they will definitely last him two years. Huge financial commitment but worth it because we will get six plus years of wear from them.

I tried to patch some of DS1's Gymbo sweatpants. He is now getting holes adjacent to the patches or in the other knee. It's futile. I don't really care about holes in my kids' pants (unless it was for church or something) but holes in pants don't keep a kid warm in the winter.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thank you for the tips--very helpful! If we could get 6 years out of these pants that would be GREAT. I'm going to check out LE.

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think that Sears used to have a policy where they 'insured' pants against rips/tears and if your child ripped them you could replace them for the same exact size. Now sure if they still do that - it was a department store that had that policy and I know several moms who only shopped there for their children b/c of this issue.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post
    Lands End climber pants are really good for not wearing out at the knees. They have jeans ones. If they do wear out, LE stands behind its clothes with a guarantee. You can often get good sales.

Of the hand me downs from DS1 to DS2 only one pair had holes.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The pants do ok until they are age 5, those sizes have all been handed down. However, at age 5, they end up ripping the knees of almost every pr of jeans, and it doesn't matter if they are nice ones or not, they've done them to cheap and nice ones. Now I buy cheap jeans and recently tried the sear's brand (toughskins) with the double reinforced knees (this one kids with the kid advantage if you sign up for it, but you need to keep the receipt). I'll see how those do, but basically, I tend to buy up jeans whenever I see them on clearance, since my older two go through prs like they are disposable. I don't patch the knees, b/c my mom did that for my brothers and it just did not look good and they hated it.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs