lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default How to Lock Lever-style Doorknobs?

I may have missed this part, but DD is now tall enough to open lever doorknobs and is VERY interested in our coat closet which has one.

There's no lock to the coat closet (perhaps there ought to be?) so I was wondering if there was an after-market product that would keep it from turning?

Or should I just get a new, locking doorknob?
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

We have something like this for ours: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...paign=shopping

We ended up taking them off because it was child proof and mommy proof (but that is just me, I also can't open the child proof medicine caps) and I kept locking myself into DD's room with her and having to wait for DH to let me out
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

Thanks for the product & the tip!

I'm pretty handy and have been able to manipulate every piece of childproofing equipment I've ever bought for our house, including the (bad idea) outlet covers I bought for the ILs' place in AZ. (I think I'm going to bring our extras this next trip instead; they're less tricky to remove than the others and DD hasn't done it at home. Yet.)
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Thanks for the product & the tip!

I'm pretty handy and have been able to manipulate every piece of childproofing equipment I've ever bought for our house, including the (bad idea) outlet covers I bought for the ILs' place in AZ. (I think I'm going to bring our extras this next trip instead; they're less tricky to remove than the others and DD hasn't done it at home. Yet.)
    I think all normal adults can do it. It is just a me thing. I also can't open our gates, I just have to step over them.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBearsMom View Post
    I think all normal adults can do it. It is just a me thing. I also can't open our gates, I just have to step over them.
    That's OK; I'm just barely able to walk & chew gum at the same time some days.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We've had good luck with these: http://www.amazon.com/Child-Proof-De...323865&sr=8-15

You do have to drill one small hole in the door frame but it was quick and pretty minor. You can then operate the latch from either side of the door and can just slide it off to the side whenever you don't need to latch the door.

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Look at the Door Monkey on Amazon. One of the only things that can keep DD1 out of a room. It just clips to the side of the door near the top. No holes and it just clips off when you don't need it. The only down side is that the door won't close completely. It is ajar about 2 inches.
    You can always try it and return it for free fromAmazon since it is a baby product.

Quote Originally Posted by lowrioh View Post
    Look at the Door Monkey on Amazon. One of the only things that can keep DD1 out of a room. It just clips to the side of the door near the top. No holes and it just clips off when you don't need it. The only down side is that the door won't close completely. It is ajar about 2 inches.
    You can always try it and return it for free fromAmazon since it is a baby product.
    That might be a great solution for the ILs' house - portable, looks easy to remove and doesn't require me telling my FIL that his office door has been locked to keep DD out.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)