Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Warmer than fleece, but not a full on parka?

We live in San Francisco, where the "cold" weather tends to be highs in the 50s. DD has fleece jackets and a slightly insulated rain coat, but nothing warmer. I am thinking that something between a fleece jacket and a winter parka might be a good idea for her. Does such a thing exist? What would it be? She's most likely a 3T. Oh, and I wouldn't want to spend a ton on this, maybe $45 tops and more likely $25ish.

Thanks for any ideas!
    Catherine

What about putting a down vest on over a fleece? That would probably work for 50s weather (I usually wear a down vest when it is in the 50s).

DD has the London Fog jacket in this ad from Costco (not sure if it is still there): http://www.costcoconnection.com/conn...107?pg=84#pg84

She has been wearing it on cooler mornings (it gets into the high 40s here in the AM) and it has worked out great. It is not really a rain jacket material on front, but kind of nylony feeling. And the inside is a soft, fuzzy fabric. It has a little filling but not a lot. It might work for what you need.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Boden Anorak
    LE has insulated hoodies, but I don't think they come in toddler size.
    Patagonia down sweater (this is the best little jacket)
    LE Berber Fleece (I think it has a temp rating?)

Thanks for the great ideas!

Catherine

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBearsMom View Post
    What about putting a down vest on over a fleece? That would probably work for 50s weather (I usually wear a down vest when it is in the 50s).

Great idea. Down vest paired with the warmest fleece you can find should work nicely!

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I was thinking down vest over fleece too. Also, DS wears his thick LE Sherpa lined sweatshirt in that type of weather and frequent says he's hot.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

I'm leaning against a fleece and down vest combo because it would be an extra thing to have to get on dd before going outside and because she tends to get filthy so it would also be two pieces to wash. Anyone have experience with any of the Old Navy coats? They are on sale right now, making the price right. I am not too worried about the quality as I just need it to last one season (dd is the youngest and she has a hand me down waiting in the next size up).

Thanks!
    Catherine

ETA links to ON coats. Wonder if either of these would be warm enough?

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produc...scid=875945022

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produc...scid=875940002
    Last edited by crl; 11-11-2011 at 11:31 PM.

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

How about the 3-in-1 jacket from The Children's Place? http://www.childrensplace.com/webapp...ckets_babygirl

There are a few coupon codes out for TCP now. I picked one up for DD at the outlet last week.

My girls wear these when the temperature is in the 40-60 range. Maybe even slightly below 40 if it's sunny and not windy. (We do live somewhere, though, where "cold" = 0. Fahrenheit. So YMMV!)

http://www.landsend.com/pp/Sherpalin...5478_1187.html

They do come in toddler sizes, but my 3 year old DD2 is wearing a mix of 3Ts and 4Ts depending on brand. I bought her a size 4 little girls in this coat, turned the sleeves up once, and she'll likely be able to wear it this year and next.

DD1 is on her second one of these in 3 years. They wash amazingly well. (Seriously, the second day she wore it to school this fall, she took it off at recess and left it on a picnic table. It rained buckets all that afternoon and evening, and the coat fell onto the ground. Her teacher found the coat the next day, and DD1 brought it home in a plastic bag, completely covered in mud and sopping wet. After a trip through the washer and dryer it looks absolutely brand new. Hers, however, is a darker coral pink than is currently available.)

Can't say enough good things about these jackets!

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DD has had a faux suede ON coat and it was fine for fall here. Combine that with hat and mittens and she should be pretty toasty at 50 degrees

Eta: the LE Sherpa lined sweatshirt above is the same one DS has (the boy's version). He's been wearing it in 50 or even 40's. All the kids around here wear sweatshirts until it starts snowing. We saw a girl walk into school w/ shorts on this morning for beach day!
    Last edited by DrSally; 11-11-2011 at 11:46 PM.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast