Default how long for onesies?

Silly new mom question - DS is basically in 9-12m clothes at this point - we need to buy some long sleeve/sweaters. I'm just wondering - how long do they usually wear onesies? I like the fact that the onesies covers his back when I pick him, rather than a shirt that usually gets bunched up...but I'm seeing fewer and fewer options in his size. What do you usually do at this age - a onesie under a tshirt?
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I did it through his 2nd winter for the reason you mention (keeping the back covered). Gerber at Target had plain white ones in bigger sizes. I like Carters and Baby Gap onesies as shirts or just plain white onesies (or other onesies) under shirts.

Beth

DD is almost 22 months and we still use onesies a lot, especially now that it's colder. I plan to use them through this winter and then we'll be done since it will hopefully be time for potty training.

I prefer to buy them from carters. They have up to 24 months.

My kids always had to be in a size up in onesies so they only wore them until about 18 months when they grew out of 24 month ones. Potty training is just around the corner at that age so I didn't mind.
    AF wife and SAHM of three
    DS(2007.March) DD(2009.July) DS(2012.December)

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyloxs View Post
    My kids always had to be in a size up in onesies so they only wore them until about 18 months when they grew out of 24 month ones. Potty training is just around the corner at that age so I didn't mind.
    this

mecawa is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

until they were potty trained, so for DD1 she stopped at 22 months (so size 24 months onesie). We used Carters for her. DD2 wore them until 2 1/2, so a 2T, we used Carters up to 24 months, and then had to buy bodysuits from gymbo for a few months.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Onesies are awesome. I agree, use until potty training, at least in winter.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

veronica is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Carters has them through 24 months at least. Kohls just had an amazing deal with the stacking codes. I was able to get some long sleeved packs for the twins in sizes 9 and 12 months but I know they also had 18 &24. Prices were 16.99 plus 30% off plus 15% off.
    DD 12/05
    DS 07/07
    Twin DS's 5.18.2011

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mecawa View Post
    until they were potty trained, so for DD1 she stopped at 22 months (so size 24 months onesie). We used Carters for her. DD2 wore them until 2 1/2, so a 2T, we used Carters up to 24 months, and then had to buy bodysuits from gymbo for a few months.
    Same here. We used them as a warm layer until PTin, which for DD 1 was 24 months. Mainly as a layer under fleece footie pjs at nigh, or under l/s tees or sweaters on cold days. I hate seeing that exposed skin on the back w/o a onesie when it's cold outside! For girl moms, the other solution is to dress them in dresses and leggings or tights, which cover the back.

For DD 1 we used Carter's and Pumpkin Patch. For dd2, we have some Hanna Andersson solid jeepers (onesies) bought at the outlet sales (they go up to sz 3!) and a couple from Kicky Pants and Carters we received as gifts. The Hannas are fabulous!

for Sandy Hook

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sprog will be two in a couple weeks and I've seen no reason to stop the onesies. She only wears them under overalls, though. All her pants are knit and I'm not fond of the onesie-under-knit pants look on her now that she's more "kid" and less "baby." She has a little pot belly and big cloth diaper bootie, so it's not real flattering.

They're super-practical under overalls or jumper-style dresses, though. Not sure what we'll do when PTing starts in earnest.

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009