Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post

I'm not sure why it's a problem that others might like the threads like this and you don't. I'm sure there are people who agree with you as well. I was just giving my opinion, since the question was asked.
    Umm, you are the one who started arguing with me? I asked if anyone else prefered the division by age. Then you said you didn't and made it seem like you thought even if it was divided by age it would still be divided by gender, which is totally not what I meant. (And I'm still not getting how you get to seven threads? It would be three or so infant and toddler, preschooler and grade schooler is approximately how they were previously done I think.) When I explained that I meant no gender divison and why, you kept going with how this way is so much easier . . . . It is fine with me if you like it this way. And if most other people do too then by all means this is the way it should be.

Catherine

I think that there are many ways to look for information - obviously - that's what I'm trained to do, LOL. But in this specific case I do prefer to click only on the long "boys" thread, and the long "girls" thread. I've got a kid that's young for his age emotionally, but advanced in some skills, which would result in me clicking on everything from age 2-7 or so, which is much more time consuming that just 2 giant gender divided threads.

And even though I only have one DC and he's a boy, yes, I do look at the girls thread too. DS is very "boy" with most of his preferences but we do try to be non-gender specific and I like to know everything that's out there It seems to be so much easier than clicking on all of the age threads, vs. just 2 by gender. And even though I only have one kiddo myself I'm buying for several children total - both boy and girl.

In any case here's what I've bought so far...

For DS, who will be 4 yrs 4 mos at Xmas:
    -Moon in my room
    -M&D Mini stable w/ 12pc, flocked horses set
    -Lincoln Logs
    -Star theater
    -Playmobil animal nursery
    -Play kitchen
    -felt food for kitchen
    -coffee maker and wooden condiments for kitchen
    -several puzzles
    -a variety of toys saved from my own childhood (not part of his formal gift)
    -more Thomas stuff
    -books!

For DN who is 17:
    a g/c to a local bookstore (what he asked for)
    a cool graphic t-shirt

For DN who is 10:
    have not yet decided but may also buy a bookstore g/c or book related things including a pocket book light or similar. I know this seems very unexciting but the kid is a real bookworm and his parents aren't at all.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post
    Umm, you are the one who started arguing with me? I asked if anyone else prefered the division by age. Then you said you didn't and made it seem like you thought even if it was divided by age it would still be divided by gender, which is totally not what I meant. (And I'm still not getting how you get to seven threads? It would be three or so infant and toddler, preschooler and grade schooler is approximately how they were previously done I think.) When I explained that I meant no gender divison and why, you kept going with how this way is so much easier . . . . It is fine with me if you like it this way. And if most other people do too then by all means this is the way it should be.

Catherine
    sorry. I'll edit my posts. I thought you were asking for others opinions, rather than just sharing yours. Clearly, I misunderstood! Very sorry!
    Kris

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MontrealMum View Post
    I-a variety of toys saved from my own childhood (not part of his formal gift)

For DN who is 10:
    have not yet decided but may also buy a bookstore g/c or book related things including a pocket book light or similar. I know this seems very unexciting but the kid is a real bookworm and his parents aren't at all.
    Very cool that you've saved things! My mom has a few things out at her house, like my old FP doll house and the kids love it.

My old boss did not enjoy reading and had a really hard time understanding why her youngest would just read for hours at a time. So nice that you are supporting that if her parents might not be!
    Kris

Very cool that you've saved things! My mom has a few things out at her house, like my old FP doll house and the kids love it.

My old boss did not enjoy reading and had a really hard time understanding why her youngest would just read for hours at a time. So nice that you are supporting that if her parents might not be!
    I finally got the time to go into my storage facility down here and get out the toys. He's getting a bunch of stuffed animals, a fisher price house and a ton of people, Lincoln logs and a few other random things. I couldn't find the Tinker Toys so I think I may not have kept them. He's also getting all the age appropriate books that were mine when I was a kid. It makes me feel all warm inside that he'll be using my things

My poor DN's - there's a boy and a girl - love to read and their parents don't at all. I could read all day long so I feel a kinship with them.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

sorry. I'll edit my posts. I thought you were asking for others opinions, rather than just sharing yours. Clearly, I misunderstood! Very sorry!
    No sorry, we still seem to just be not communicating at all. But I am sure it just isn't all that important anyway.

Catherine

DS 5.75
    star wars remote control tank
    xxl legos (walmart black friday deal)
    wii star wars lego (the one that combines all the movies)
    2 sets of erector sets (costco)
    angry birds knock on wood game

DN (4)
    cape I made with spider man on one side and batman on the other
    teenage mutant ninja turtles figures
    DS game

DN (1)
    Fisher-Price World of Little People Pop and Surprise Train (walmart black friday deal for $20)
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I haven't really bought much yet, but I have some ideas about what I want to get. DBF's parents and grandparents have bought the kids stuff already and those gifts are included on the list.

DS1 (8 yrs old)

Already have:
    Atlantis and Star Wars Lego sets
    Cyclaws Remote Control Vehicle
    Spy Net: Spy Strike Laser Dueling System (laser tag set)

Thinking of getting:
    Books (He wants some Goosebumps, Magic Tree House, 39 Clues, and Diary of a Wimpy Kid)
    Games (Possibly Dominion, Guess Who Mix & Mash, Payday, Find It, and/or Toss Up)
    Crayola Glow Book
    Crystal Mining Kit
    Children's cookbook and a set of Curious Chef knives and vegetable peeler
    Wii video game (either Ben 10 or Lego)

DS2 (2 1/2 yrs old)

Already have:
    Number Train floor puzzle
    Basketball, football, baseball, and soccer board books
    Richard Scarry Busy Town board game
    Fisher-Price Kid-Tough Classic Doodler

Thinking of getting:
    Art supplies (stampers, markers, colored pencils, scissors, crayons)
    Kumon First Steps Workbooks
    Melissa & Doug Jigsaw in a Box puzzles
    Go Away Monster board game
    Mini soccer ball and basketball
    Melissa & Doug Joey Magnetic Dress-Up (already have, but not sure if I'll give it to him now or for his 3rd birthday)
    Mini Kick Scooter (already have, but not sure if I'll give it to him now or for his 3rd birthday)
    Last edited by essnce629; 11-28-2011 at 07:26 AM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by elephantmeg View Post
    wii star wars lego (the one that combines all the movies)
    My kids got this last year and they both really like it! (DSs are 7 and 3.5)
    Sweetie Pies, DS 9/2004 & DS 4/2008

Default DS, almost 7

XBOX 360 250 kb with Kinect (got TRU $100 gc with purchase) w/ following games:
    -Kinect sports
    -kinect sports 2
    -Dance central 2
    -Toy story
    -kinect joy ride
    -lego star wars
    -plants vs. zombies
    -skylander
    Ninetendo 3DS (got a 'repackaged' one for $110!; the contents weren't ever removed from box) with the following games:
    -Mario 3D land
    -Sonic generation
    -Nintendogs french bulldogs
    -Starfox 3D
    -Pokemon Rumble blast
    Lego Pharoah's quest scorpion pyramid
    Lego TRU truck
    Nerf gun Maverick
    St Louis Cardinal's pillow pet
    weaving loom kit
    model airplane kit
    rock kits
    pokemon cards
    R.C. Beyblade
    Fathead David Freese life-size poster
    football
    Board games:
    -Ticket to Ride
    -Toy Story Operation
    -Spongebob monopoly
    -Connect 4 launchers
    -Simon Flash
    -Stress-free chess
    -Uno
    -rory's story cubes
    -Clue
    -bananagrams
    BOOKS: He got several; one of my faves is "The Buck Book: All sorts of things to do with dollar bill besides spend it"...even comes with a one dollar bill.

I figured it up last night how much I saved by shopping bargains and it was very significant. Thank you, fellow BBB'ers. Fortunately, my ex and I split the bill (I do the shopping), so I only have to pay half

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast