Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Balance bike recommendation for 21-24 month old

OK, it's time. I am going to get DD2 a balance bike some time between now and her second birthday! It's one of the things I regret not getting for DD1 (who is 5.5 and still can't ride a bike) and since we've bought hardly anything for DD2, I figure this can be her holiday gift or second bday present. She is quite small in size - only about 32 inches tall now and 20 lbs! But I don't plan for her to use it for several months, maybe starting at around 34 inches tall. What bike would you recommend? I don't want it to be so big and heavy it will overwhelm her, which was my mistake in getting DD1 the Kettler trike at 2. Strider? Skuut? Something else? Thanks for any suggestions!

for Sandy Hook

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

The specialized hotwalk was dd's 2yo gift but she didn't use it until closer to 3. It is small and light though.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We gave DD1 this balance bike for her 2nd birthday. Now at 4.5yo she still uses it. With the seat all the way down DD2 (who is a peanut at 23mos...still in 18mo clothes), she can just touch her feet.

The price can't be beat at under $30 and it's held up well for the past 2+yr and we'll pass it down to DD2.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think age 2 is pretty young for a balance bike.

My boys started with the Y bike, (plastic balance bike with two back wheels for more stability) then moved to a real balance bike closer to three. We play outside A LOT so I didn't mind spending money on both.

I do think a balance bike is amazing! My oldest rode the balance bike for his 3 yr old year and then was riding a a real bike without training wheels at 4.
    Last edited by BeachBum; 11-14-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    We gave DD1 this balance bike for her 2nd birthday. Now at 4.5yo she still uses it. With the seat all the way down DD2 (who is a peanut at 23mos...still in 18mo clothes), she can just touch her feet.

The price can't be beat at under $30 and it's held up well for the past 2+yr and we'll pass it down to DD2.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr
    We have this one, too. We bought it when DS1 was 2.5; he's now 4 and rides it every day. It's too small for him (he's pretty tall for his age) but that doesn't stop him. He loves it and is really good at riding it. If we gave him a real two-wheeler, I'm certain he'd be able to ride it no problem. Balance bikes are awesome.

My son has been riding his Strider since he was 18 months old.
    Renee
    (mommom to Noah my beautiful Ethiopian miracle. born 6/26/08 forever a family 4/20/09)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Let me know what you end up getting. DD1 is also 5/1/2 and not riding a bike. I am not in a huge hurry, but I would definitely like to try's different method with DD2 also.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I think that 2 is still kind of young. I would shoot for one of those for age 3 or 4.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We got my twins the Hotwalk at 2.5 (one new and one hand me down). That thing is amazing. Ds2 could reach the ground at 2 but not ds3.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AlbrightRC View Post
    My son has been riding his Strider since he was 18 months old.
    This is the one I'm leaning towards right now.

Age-wise, I guess it depends on the kid. I honestly think my older DD would have been ready at that age. She was triking proficiently at 18 months, and my mistake was to get her a trike at 2 rather than a balance bike. But she is/was very tall, probably 3 ins taller than her sister at the same age, so would have had her feet to the ground much sooner than my tiny DD2. My friends in Holland had their kids riding a regular bike by a little over 2, starting the balance bike as soon as their kids could walk, around 12 months! So it does vary a lot, but if I'm going to get one at a young age, I want to make sure to get one that is lightweight and low off the ground. DD2 is such a shrimp though, that I suspect I will have to realistically wait till at least 2, if not longer, to really get her started on one.

Thanks for the suggestions!

for Sandy Hook

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast