Default Pants for Big Toddler with Short Legs

I am hunting for pants and jeans for our not-so-little 15 month old. He's 33 inches tall, and 30 pounds. In order to fit around his waist and diaper, a 3T or 4T seems to work best. However, they are WAY too long.

Does anyone have any ideas short of manually hemming pants? My sewing skills need help!

Heather

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Check out Hanna Andersson pants. I have found that many of them are wide at the waist and short compared to other brands, which doesn't work for us, but may work great for you.

wimama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DS has a wide waist and short legs and this was even more pronounced when he was a baby/toddler. The brand that works best for him is Gymboree. Stay away from Gap and Old Navy because I have found those pants to be very cut very narrow.
    Amy -
    J - Spring 2006
    E - September 2011

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

When Ds was shorter, squishier and in cloth diapers I really liked Hanna Andersson (especially check out knit pants from them), and also the Land's End climber pants b/c they had elastic at the ankles so they would stay up and I wouldn't need to shorten them.
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have the exact same problem! DS is 13 mos, 30lbs 31in. So far DS can only wear elastic waist pants. Jeans are totally out, he needs a 3 in every brand I've tried and they are way too long. I can roll them up but he hates to wear them.

I've had good luck with BabyGap knit pants
    http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...&pid=763422022
    They only have black on the website but I got gray, navy and brown in the store. DS can wear a 2T.
    He can also wear some styles of Carters pants in 24mos. The 24mos seem to be shorter than a 2T even thought they are really the same size.

Stay away from Old Navy and Childrens Place. Pants seem narrow in the waist even for a 3T.

I haven't tried Hanna just because DS seems to grow out of clothes so fast I haven't wanted to invest that much. I haven't liked any of the Gymboree lines lately so haven't tried those either. Gymboree does tend to run larger than other brands. So your DS might be able to wear a 2T.

No help with the hemming, but I need to learn how to do it also!
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

DS was built like that as a toddler. This was years ago, but I found pants that rolled up and had a tab that let you button them to stay up. Hanna Andersson had some cords like that (and my dd is now wearing them as hand me downs), Gap outlet had some cords like that and Target had some khakis like that. Those were perfect for ds. Maybe someone is making something similar now. Also American Apparel has some knit pants that are wide--order a size up because they are also small overall.

Catherine

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I posted in the toddler jeans thread that we ave the same issue. 16 month old is 29 pounds, 30 inches, which is 95th % for weight and 50th for height. So he needs a size bigger in the waist than length. We also only wear elastic waist pants, either 18-24 month size or 2t in some brands. HA wiggle pants and sweatpants are great (he is still in an 80, but growing out). The Boden jersey baggies I got over the summer are also a good fit, they are a cropped style, but they will be longer if you buy a bigger size for the waist!
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

Thanks to everyone for the great ideas. I will have to try the Hanna Andersson pants.

I've also had good luck with the Mini-Boden zip off pants. Once the lower portion is zipped off, they seem to be just the right length. Sadly, it seems as though they are now out of season.

I tried the knit pants from BabyGap, but within the first wearing the elastic gave out on one of the legs and then our son was walking all over them. I don't know if I just got a defective pair or what, but I'm leery about them now. I like the way they fit, though - anyone else have this problem?