Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I emailed the devel ped yesterday. I should hear back by Tuesday as to what she recommeds we do. Thanks everyone.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Just got the Ok for 1 mg melatonin 1 hr before bed. Going to try it tonight.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Good luck!
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

You should definitely clear melatonin use with your pediatrician, to make sure that it's okay interacting with the other medicine. Melatonin has worked wonders for my DS, who's now 4. We've been using it for about a year. However, be careful about OTC liquid melatonin since I believe it contains alcohol. We use a liquid one compounded at the local pharmacy that does not contain alcohol. I've heard good things about the sublinguals too.

DS used to stay up until 10-10:30pm before melatonin use. Makes for very tired, full-time working parents! The one thing I did notice is that after I give him melatonin (1 mg), it only takes about 30-45 minutes for him to fall asleep but often during that 30-45 minute period he actually gets more grumpy/irrational before he goes down. I think it just overttires him.
    Mommy to DS 2007

I'm late to the thread, but just saw that you got the okay for the Melatonin.

If your DC is fussy about pills, they make a liquid version too. We buy ours (I think it's called "Natrol" at Fred Meyers/Kroger in the natural food section. It's vanilla flavored. Definitely as an aftertaste "kick" to it.

Be careful about giving it too early. It needs to be around 30 minutes before sleep is expected. It's okay to give it at bedtime (that's what we do--pajamas, teeth, water and melatonin pill, then prayers, hugs, and lights out). My sister gave it to her daughter at the beginning of a long bedtime routine (water and melatonin, shower, teeth, chapter in book, song, prayers, 12353 hugs, lights out), and she would get frustrated that the melatonin didn't work. Yet, when her daughter was here with me, the melatonin worked wonders... because I gave it to her on the way to bed, knew when it would take effect, and had her ready to go when the melatonin hit.

If you use it regularly, the body can build up a tolerance to it. My 7.5yo is now on 3mg. We've been using it for almost 3 years now.
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

jk3 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

How is it going? We are dealing with this with DS1...
    Mom to 3 boys

DS is taking 1mg. of the GNC sublingual melatonin each night, with the blessing of his Ped. It works great! Otherwise, he's awake at full speed until 3am.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2