Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Who is doing Bridge to 10K with me?

So, remember on the C25K thread, several of us wanted to know what was next? I've been a slacker. I did my last 5K at the beginning of October, but now that the weather is so cold, there won't be many 5Ks in our area (and honestly, I don't want to run them when it's this cold, wind is a huge issue). So, I need something to motivate me to stay fit and continue losing wt (I am still about 25# from my goal wt). I downloaded the Bridge to 10K app yesterday to my ipod touch (can I just say that I HATE itunes, why is it so frickin' sluggish?), and it's a great app, well worth the $1.99. Since the weather is all downhill from here on out, I will be doing this on my treadmill this time. I did better than I thought I would, although I am more sore today than I thought I'd be.

For those who trained for C25K on their treadmill, what speed and % grade did you use on your treadmill? Since it was my first day, I just did 6mph and 0% grade yesterday, but I'm not really sure what settings I should be doing to realistically do a 10K outdoors. I trained for C25K 100% outdoors, b/c I wanted a realistic idea of what it would be like to do a 5K outdoors.

So, who is with me on the 10K challenge? It is a 6 wk program. I may do it a bit slower, since I still have stroller class 2x a wk and try to do zumba as well and basically need something to get me through to March, before I can run outdoors again. My 5K time still isn't below 30 min, which was a goal of mine, but at this point, I'm not going to worry about it. I'm not a fast runner, but I'm hoping that being able to run a longer distance will end up improving my endurance to run a 5K faster by default.
    Last edited by hellokitty; 11-18-2011 at 10:07 AM.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Hmmm.. I've been thinking of doing it. I can't get past 4 miles... that seems to be where I hit a wall.

I did more than half of it on my treadmill because I didn't have a jogging stroller at the time (and can't run outside if all 3 kids are home).

I'd have to look back at that C25K thread to remember what exactly I had the settings during the training.

I always do 1% incline as I read that mimicks outdoor running. Right now I have it set around 4.7 or 4.8 mph. If I go faster than that I peter out quickly. I originally had it set for 5mph when I did c25k.. and it seemed ok at first since you are only running for a few minutes at a time and then walking.... but I can't maintain 5mph for any decent distance.

I might download that app... but I really need to get my itunes library on my iphone first!
    Last edited by artvandalay; 11-18-2011 at 10:16 AM.

Art, I knew you would post on this thread, lol. You know, I was surprised that I did 4 miles yesterday. I've never run that far before and usually feel tired after 3 miles. I bet you will be surprised by how much further you can go than you realize. Thanks for the % grade info. I will set it around 1% and go from there. I also need a new pr of shoes. Mine are starting to feel less supportive. I'm going to wear them to our WDW trip next month and then just keep them around as shoes for grundgy days.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    Art, I knew you would post on this thread, lol. You know, I was surprised that I did 4 miles yesterday. I've never run that far before and usually feel tired after 3 miles. I bet you will be surprised by how much further you can go than you realize. Thanks for the % grade info. I will set it around 1% and go from there. I also need a new pr of shoes. Mine are starting to feel less supportive. I'm going to wear them to our WDW trip next month and then just keep them around as shoes for grundgy days.
    LOL, I wonder if we can get the old C25k posse on here?

Yeah, good shoes make all the difference! Oh, and I love those Kohl shorts that everyone was raving about. I bought two pair and wear them all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by artvandalay View Post
    LOL, I wonder if we can get the old C25k posse on here?

Yeah, good shoes make all the difference! Oh, and I love those Kohl shorts that everyone was raving about. I bought two pair and wear them all the time!
    I'm hoping to attract the C25K grads too. Oh and yeah, I need to get more prs of those fila running shorts. I've just basically come to realize that I have to wear tighter fitting bottoms to run comfortably. I had also gotten a shorter pr than the ones I had recommended to you, and had to return them, since they would ride up. Not comfy or attractive, lol.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

minnie-zb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm in awe! You rock!

I can't do the 10K, but can I just try and get back in the 5K spirit and show support for you?

Quote Originally Posted by minnie-zb View Post
    I'm in awe! You rock!

I can't do the 10K, but can I just try and get back in the 5K spirit and show support for you?
    Most definitely! Both programs are similar and I think it always helps to have those who have been through it to help encourage and guide you.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

HK have you been running? I have not been running much at all. I ran only 32 minutes on Monday and then my baby woke up from her nap. I am having a really hard time lately finding time to run.

I used to run during her nap, but lately her naps get all screwed up. When I drop off DS2 at preschool, I need to run a bunch of errands, get grocieries... etc. She always falls asleep in the car on the way home, but she used to let me put her in her crib and she'd continue to sleep. Not any more. She wakes up the second we pull into the garage. So now I need to decide - either I stay home and do nothing so she naps in her crib so I can run, or get all the crap done that I need to get done... and getting stuff done always wins.

I was running with her at the park once a week after dropping DS2 off, but there is something wrong with my stroller now, and it's getting kind of cold and windy (in in the Midwest).

I suppose I could get up early and exercise, but I'd have to get up at like 5 in order to run and shower in time to get the kids ready for school, and I'm not that disciplined!

I hope things calm down after the holidays. I"m super stressed out right now and really want to run... I think it helps my stress.

Is B210K interval training? Is it hard to go back to interval training after running x amount of minutes? OH.. and I agree about Itunes being sluggish. I've never liked itunes. I have an iphone now so I'm stuck with dealing with itunes all the time now...altho I have no problems with it on my iphone. It's using it on my computer that I don't like.
    Last edited by artvandalay; 12-04-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Art, yeah, I hate itunes on my PC. DH and I are convinced that it's apple's ploy to force ppl to buy macs, b/c it is torture using itunes on a PC. Yeah, I've been running, about 2x a wk. I'm still doing stroller class 2x a wk and trying to do zumba 1x a wk. B210K is interval training, but I am pushing myself more to be independent. For example, yesterday, when it was time to walk, I didn't feel like it, so I ended up running 40 min straight and did just fine. I see it more as a guideline for ppl who need it. I also did not stick to C25K religiously. I did it up to wk 5 or 6 and then fast-tracked myself, in order to finish the program in time for my first 5K back in May.

I've decided I'm just going to run on my treadmill. The weather here is also pretty yucky and I could probably run outside on days that aren't rainy or snowy, except that ppl are driving like idiots in my area right now, so I don't feel safe on running outside. I agree that it is good stress relief. I surprise myself, since I also feel the need to run now, and I never, ever thought I'd ever feel this way.

Anyway, I hope you get a chance to run. I sympathize with you on the toddler sleep issue. DS3, NEVER adjusted to the time change. He wakes up btw 5-5:30am each morning and naps only happen 50% of the time, and even if he does nap, they are usually crappy naps lasting less than an hr. I hope you can find some time for yourself. I will workout after the kids go to bed if there is no other choice.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Oh wow, sounds like you are getting in quite a bit of exercise... good for you. Does your stroller strides class move to an indoor location for the winter?

I keep thinking about joining stroller strides in the Spring now that I finally have a jogging stroller.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast