Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Power to you ladies for keeping the momentum. Unfortunately, I stopped running shortly after I finished c25k back in June. It was just so darn hot this summer that I couldn't do it. I kept telling myself that when the temps cooled off I'd get right back into it. Problem is I think I lost my ability to run so I started c25k over again, but now I'm not so motivated with it. Plus, like Art said, I'm struggling with finding a time to run. I am physically unable to get myself up at 5am to work out, and then the window of opportunity that I do have in the morning (while DS1 is at preschool) I've been spending it carting DS2 around doing errands. Since I'm caught up with Xmas & food shopping for the moment I vowed to take DS2 out for a run tomorrow morning. Also, I don't have a treadmill so I have to do my running outside, which I don't mind the cold, it's just finding a time to do it while its daylight. I would love to do b210k with you but I think I've got to get back to being able to do 5k again. *sigh*

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by artvandalay View Post
    Oh wow, sounds like you are getting in quite a bit of exercise... good for you. Does your stroller strides class move to an indoor location for the winter?

I keep thinking about joining stroller strides in the Spring now that I finally have a jogging stroller.
    Yeah, I've been trying to get myself back into a good routine again. However, we are leaving for a trip in less than two wks, so who knows how well I will do when we get back, lol. Yes, our stroller class uses indoor facilities (mall and warehouse) during bad weather. I bet your stroller strides class in your area has alternative arrangements too, you should call to ask. It's so much easier to know I will get two workouts in each wk, just from stroller class and childcare is a non-issue, kwim? Plus, it's a great way to make friends for you and your toddler!

Bigdog, even though you feel out of shape, I bet that once you start C25K again, you will find yourself skipping ahead and fast tracking yourself through the program. That is what I have done. I had the same situation in July, it was just too damn hot and then in August, we went on vacation and school started, it was nuts. I ran my last 5K in early October and did kind of a fast track C25K to catch myself back up again and took a break from running on my own (outside of stroller class) for almost two months, before getting back into it again. I ran 40 min straight yesterday. I didn't think I could do it, but decided not to do the interval walk prompts and was surprised that I was ok. Granted, I am training now on a treadmill, instead of outside, but I know that with the weather and schedule, the treadmill will allow me to be more diligent about working out than leaving myself at the mercy of the weather outside. So, if you are up to it, start up again. You will be surprised how quickly you bounce back.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

HK I thought of you today because I remember you had asked what people were settings people were using on their treadmills.

I had been using 4.7 or 4.8. Today I tried something different, set it to 4.5 with 1% incline. I ran for a little over 50 minutes and felt really good. I think I could have kept going but didn't have the extra time today.

So yeah, I ran slow... I think I was just under 4 miles. I haven't run past 4 miles yet, but I really think I could have done this today.

So even though my time is pretty slow, maybe it's better (for me at least) to run slower at a more comfortable pace? Also it really helps to watch tv or a movie on the treadmill if you are able to... really helps the time pass.

BigDog, I totally hear you. It can be really hard to find the time. If you ever start up doing C25K let us know how you are doing. Perhaps once the crazyness of the holidays pass you might be able to find a little more time.

minnie-zb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I signed up for a 5K in the spring yesterday. I'm using this as a push to get back on the running -- although I'm not too excited about running in the cold.

Happy New Year!

Any goals for the next couple of months? I'm purposely *not* saying resolutions!

Here's mine for the next 3 months:

*Follow the c25k program and get back on track and ready for a spring 5K
    *Walk on days I'm not running (I think I need the extra movement to actually lose some weight).
    *Strengthen my core -- my abs and back muscles could really use some strengthening.

Anyone else?

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Would someone please post a link to the C25K and the shorts from Kohls. I really need to start exercising and maybe this will work for me. How much time do the workouts take? TIA

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    Would someone please post a link to the C25K and the shorts from Kohls. I really need to start exercising and maybe this will work for me. How much time do the workouts take? TIA
    C25K link, I use an app for my iPhone. It is called Ease into 5K. Starting it takes me about 30 minutes which is great, but I think it increases in time some -- maybe a total of 45 minutes?

Sorry, can't help with the shorts.
    Last edited by minnie-zb; 01-01-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by minnie-zb View Post
    Happy New Year!

Any goals for the next couple of months? I'm purposely *not* saying resolutions!

Here's mine for the next 3 months:

*Follow the c25k program and get back on track and ready for a spring 5K
    *Walk on days I'm not running (I think I need the extra movement to actually lose some weight).
    *Strengthen my core -- my abs and back muscles could really use some strengthening.

Anyone else?
    Great goals! And Happy New Year as well!!

Hmm.. I just told someone last night at a party my goal would be to run for an hour straight... I'm almost there. I running 50 minutes so I think I'll be hitting the hour soon.

So, my official goals/resolutions are:

Run 60 minutes
    then officially train for a 10K
    Run and complete a 10K by this fall
    Lose 10 pounds (ha.. I keep saying this, but I think I will do it this year)

I like your goal of strenthening your core. My abs and arms are in sorry shape. I did some Jillian Michaels DVD's and they were great but I got out of practice using them. I've been thinking of getting a kettlebell exercise set that comes with a DVD. I think the particular Kettlebell program I'm looking at seems like it would be fun, so I might stay with it. I get bored really easily with workout DVD's, tho.

PP when I get a chance I'll try and find the Kohls shorts. They are Fila, I think. They were linked to in the "Couch to 5K Support Group" thread in MommyFit. I use them nearly every time I run on the treadmill.

Holy-Moly. I did a cardio kettlebell workout yesterday -- wasn't going to run, a little cold here finally. My tushy is sooooo sore! I can barely walk.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Great goals everyone!

Art, I would say that my NYR would be very similar to yours, lol. I'm hoping that if I increase the amt of time that I can run, that my 5K time will improve as well.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast