Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Minnifer is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Well....... my 3.5 yo has never liked cow's milk much either and pretty much refuses it cold (although she used to take a bottle of it warmed up, post-weaning). While I agree with the PPs re not needing milk per se and getting calcium via other sources, for whatever reason it still makes me feel better to get a little bit of milk in her every day. So for now, she has a small cup of "chocolate" milk every morning, currently made with a small amount of Ovaltine. She'd also drink warmed milk with some raw honey in it. To me, getting the milk in is worth the sugar tradeoff (she doesn't have a ton of sugar otherwise) - no flames pls
    Lucky single mama to DD 5/08 and DS 6/11

peanut520 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

dont for get the green leafy veggie have calcium too as do other veggies.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My 2older girls stopped drinking milk around 3. No idea why. I push yogurt and cheese, but in the end they drink fortified OJ, and I've been giving them a quarter Tums with their multivitamin twice a day.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Cows milk was made for baby cows, not baby humans. That said, I quite enjoy it myself. My DH is lactose intolerant, my DS6 is allergic, and my DD3 drinks very little (4 oz maybe twice a week). There are plenty of other sources of calcium and vitamins if need be. Milk is not critical.

Don't worry! DH and I don't drink milk at all and neither do our girls. They do eat a lot of cheese and yogurt.

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Minnifer View Post
    To me, getting the milk in is worth the sugar tradeoff (she doesn't have a ton of sugar otherwise) - no flames pls
    But this makes me laugh. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I have abandoned nearly all hope of having DD eat healthy, I just want her to EAT. And yes, if all she eats for dinner is french fries and a prepackaged peanut butter cookie, so be it, at least she is getting precious calories.

To the OP, we push milk (or Pediasure, if it is one of DD's many no-eating days) instead of juice or water simply because it has lots of calories and good fats and DD NEEDS the calories. If your DC is getting enough calcium from other sources and is healthy, then I wouldn't worry too much about she doesn't drink milk.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

My five year old DD has never drunk cow's milk as she didn't like it after her first sip. She eats yoghurt, drinks yoghurt smoothies and eats a lot of cheese, so I think she's getting enough calcium.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I won't drink milk plain. As a kid we always put a bit of ovaltine in it. I eat a lot of yogurt and cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by peanut520 View Post
    dont for get the green leafy veggie have calcium too as do other veggies.

Also blackstrap molasses has a ton in a 2 tsp serving ~400mg, pink salmon, sardines, rainbow trout, tofu, and nuts

I want to say that non-dairy sources of calcium are more bioavailable but I could be confusing that with BM.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Neither of my kids will drink milk. My 2 year old is still nursing, and my 5 year old drank some milk from age 2.5-4 (at daycare/preschool), but she preferred water and refused to drink milk at home. Both kids live cheese and yogurt, so I'm not worried. I don't like milk either.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast