Default More Kindle stuff: David Pogue's take...

Here's the NY Times' David Pogue's take on all the Kindles. He says the original Kindle (the one with the keyboard) doesn't offer 3G any longer, which I didn't know, and is something to keep in mind when buying I think. It's a good review of the various Kindle options. Hope it helps!
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Great article. Thanks for posting!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Nu_mama is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Thanks for posting, this convinced me that the kindle touch is the right choice for my mom for Christmas.

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have the original Kindle that had 3G. Does the 3G no longer work, or is just that newer original ones don't offer it? I usually just use my computer to buy books, but I'll be traveling next week and will probably want to use the 3G. I don't have it with me right now to check it out! I was always surprised that they give away the 3G service with no monthly fee.

Quote Originally Posted by lovin2shop View Post
    I have the original Kindle that had 3G. Does the 3G no longer work, or is just that newer original ones don't offer it?

Still works! Just used it last weekend. They still offer a 3G eInk model (3G Kindle Touch is what I gather from the article), it's just not the cheapest one.
    Sweetie Pies, DS 9/2004 & DS 4/2008

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My Kindle Fire arrived yesterday. While I like it a lot, I will probably send it back and get a Kindle Touch instead.

I had an original Kindle that got stolen at a garage sale a couple of months ago. I've been using my Ipad Kindle app since to read my books. While I LOVE my Ipad, I don't like to use it as an *ereader* because it's big and bulky and heavy.

I LOVE the new Kindle size! Much smaller than the original (which my DH still has). I don't get eye strain from reading it, but I don't read it for really long periods of time either.

Things I don't like about the Fire, which are making me consider returning it:
    - I don't like the carousel on the front page. It shows everything, and I mean everything you have looked at - not just purchased. If you are sharing this device with other family members or children, this isn't a good thing. The level of security there is REALLY lacking.

- It has one-click enabled on it and really no way to turn it off. I was able to disable it on the Amazon site itself, but DH was able to buy a magazine with one click. This is an Amazon thing. And if you have kids - there's no way to stop them from "accidentally" buying something (or everything) with the one-click enabled.

- I REALLY hate that I have to register the Kindle under DH's name (he has the Kindle account), but I can't register my own Amazon account as well. I have my own Prime account and use it when I buy stuff, and DH uses his. But all of our Kindle books come from DH's account. I buy stuff for him (like his birthday coming up) on my Amazon account that I don't want him to see just yet.

- I HATE where the power button is. They decided to put it on the bottom of the device. I have (more than once) accidentally turned it off by resting on something.

- I HATE how you have to get to the volume (it's buried in a menu). Very very annoying.

So far, after having it for not even 24 hours - these things are enough to make me want to send it back. Otherwise, the device is great. I don't have download issues, love the screen, and there are several other cool things about it.

But having an Ipad, I'm not missing out on anything, and really just use my Kindle as an ereader. And for that, I will go back to the Touch.
    Last edited by lhafer; 11-18-2011 at 01:53 PM.

BabyH is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
    My Kindle Fire arrived yesterday. While I like it a lot, I will probably send it back and get a Kindle Touch instead.

I had an original Kindle that got stolen at a garage sale a couple of months ago. I've been using my Ipad Kindle app since to read my books. While I LOVE my Ipad, I don't like to use it as an *ereader* because it's big and bulky and heavy.

I LOVE the new Kindle size! Much smaller than the original (which my DH still has). I don't get eye strain from reading it, but I don't read it for really long periods of time either.

Things I don't like about the Fire, which are making me consider returning it:
    - I don't like the carousel on the front page. It shows everything, and I mean everything you have looked at - not just purchased. If you are sharing this device with other family members or children, this isn't a good thing. The level of security there is REALLY lacking.

- It has one-click enabled on it and really no way to turn it off. I was able to disable it on the Amazon site itself, but DH was able to buy a magazine with one click. This is an Amazon thing. And if you have kids - there's no way to stop them from "accidentally" buying something (or everything) with the one-click enabled.

- I REALLY hate that I have to register the Kindle under DH's name (he has the Kindle account), but I can't register my own Amazon account as well. I have my own Prime account and use it when I buy stuff, and DH uses his. But all of our Kindle books come from DH's account. I buy stuff for him (like his birthday coming up) on my Amazon account that I don't want him to see just yet.

- I HATE where the power button is. They decided to put it on the bottom of the device. I have (more than once) accidentally turned it off by resting on something.

- I HATE how you have to get to the volume (it's buried in a menu). Very very annoying.

So far, after having it for not even 24 hours - these things are enough to make me want to send it back. Otherwise, the device is great. I don't have download issues, love the screen, and there are several other cool things about it.

But having an Ipad, I'm not missing out on anything, and really just use my Kindle as an ereader. And for that, I will go back to the Touch.
    I don't like the carousel or the power button location either. Is there ANY way to "x-out" of the pages in the carousel? Or am I just going to have millions of webpages and apps always to scroll through before I get to whatever I'm looking for?

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Touch and hold the item on the carasoul and you can delete it.

I just got back from a trip with the fire and for what I need it for I really like it a lot. Only issue is first hour -- the power button was a PITA. Since that first hour I have not accidentally hit it. I love the size and the ease of reading. I really plan to use if for book reading, the boards on occasion and I did buy a couple of Curious George shows in case of a kid emergency. I am not really doing games on it and the kids won't be allowed to use it (vs the Ipad which we occasionally allow them to use). It is my book!
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Quote Originally Posted by lovin2shop View Post
    I have the original Kindle that had 3G. Does the 3G no longer work, or is just that newer original ones don't offer it? I usually just use my computer to buy books, but I'll be traveling next week and will probably want to use the 3G. I don't have it with me right now to check it out! I was always surprised that they give away the 3G service with no monthly fee.
    3G still works, and the Kindle Touch has a 3G version, but the new "original" Kindles with the keyboard don't have a 3G option any more according to Pogue. We have an iPad and I was deciding between a touch and a keyboard. I went with the Touch, but if I had known the keyboard version didn't come with a touch version I wouldn't have wasted my time thinking about it!
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!