Default Keepsake ornaments (when to give)

If you give an ornament each year when do you have them open it? Do you give them out when you decorate the tree? Or is it giving out at Christmas?

Our kids open them on Christmas. Since we put up the tree soon after Thanksgiving, and the ornaments represent something about each child's year, I usually don't have all of the ornaments picked out and purchased when the tree gets decorated.

Growing up, my sisters & I opened them when decorating the tree. Our ornaments were from our grandparents, and each of us had a theme (I always got a bear ornament, one sister got angels, the other got Santas), and I know my grandparents shopped ahead, so they were often purchased a year or more in advance, and were ready to give when the tree went up.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Decorating the tree.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm so bad. I wait until the day after Christmas and buy it when they are half off. I usually get a Halmark one that relates to something from the year. But if I do happen to buy them early, I give them when we decorate the tree.

HonoluluMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DD gets one from the grandparents and they've given it to her after the tree is already put up.