Default Turkey Breast vs. Whole Turkey - questions

I normally cook a whole turkey but every year the dark meat goes to waste because no one in the family eats it. This year I have decided to cook a turkey breast. Here are some questions I have as I've never cooked a turkey breast before:

1. There will be 7 adults and 1 toddler - is a 6.3 lb frozen turkey breast big enough or do I need to buy a 2nd breast? We are all average eaters and there will be plenty of apps beforehand.
    2. Does a breast generally turn out less moist than a whole turkey?
    3. Will there be enough pan drippings from just a breast to make the gravy? I always have plenty of drippings with whole turkey, but have no idea about a breast.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If I was hosting I would have done a breast only this year. I considered making a few dark meat pieces as well, since dh likes them, Interested to hear replies b/c I might do it next time. I would recommend brining though!! Breast meat is less moist. Also, you'll get more liquid to use for gravy.

Beth

Debating on cooking one or ordering online through WF and their website estimates:

4-7 lb Turkey Breast Feeds 4-6 people;
    8-10 lb Turkey Breast Feeds 7-10 people;
    10-12 lb Turkey Breast Feeds 9-12 people;

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Wow, everywhere I read said 1 pound/person for a whole turkey and 1/2 pound per person for a turkey breast. This makes sense to me as a greater % of the turkey is usable with the breast. Maybe that is cooked weight???

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I did the Costco turkey breasts (refrigerated) last year (they either came in a 2-pack or I bought 2 of them, can't remember) for 6 adults, 2 toddlers - it was plenty and we had plenty of leftovers. The Costco ones come prebrined, and I followed their directions exactly and it came out nice and moist. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Breast from a whole turkey is more likely to come out dry because you have to cook the bird long enough for all the dark meat near the bones to come to a safe temp. If you're cooking just breast, it cooks more evenly and you use a lower temp and it takes less time for the white meat to reach a safe temp.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 11-18-2011 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MotownMom View Post
    Wow, everywhere I read said 1 pound/person for a whole turkey and 1/2 pound per person for a turkey breast. This makes sense to me as a greater % of the turkey is usable with the breast. Maybe that is cooked weight???
    If you are referencing WF's estimates it is uncooked. Just ordered one.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Don't know what WF stands for, but I have looked at a few sites...

DH loves turkey, so sometimes I cook just 1/2 turkey breast from trader joes throughout the year. For 7 people, I'd probably cook 2 just to be on the safe side, but then I love having leftovers and always, always cook too much food.

I made one Monday evening, brined it and it was plenty moist - definitely brine and use a meat thermometer.

FWIW I like to use this recipe
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ipe/index.html

This one looked really tempting, but as I read it, it was just too much effort for Monday evening
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/r...ipe/index.html
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

Binkandabee is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I usually serve turkey breast and do one for 4 adults and 2 kids. For 7 adults, I'd definitely do two.

I use this recipe and it comes out incredibly moist, not dry at all.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/homesty...-2/detail.aspx
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

Quote Originally Posted by Binkandabee View Post
    I use this recipe and it comes out incredibly moist, not dry at all.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/homesty...-2/detail.aspx
    Binkandabee - that's the same recipe I've been using for the past couple of years!! It turns out great!