flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Heavy lifting at 38 weeks - really scared myself reading on internet!

In my laundry/sun room there is a big chesterfield couch my husband moved there a few days ago that we thought we were going to just store there and sell. Anyway, I hate selling it and wanted to see if it would work in the room. It was on it's side facing the wrong way in a small room so we had to stand it straight up, rotate it and bring it down. The bringing down part I was bearing the weight and it came down so much faster and heavier than I thought it would...I didn't try too hard to hold it, but there was the initial reaction to support it and now the right side of stomach is sore and my back.....googled heavy lifting and all sorts of things about tearing the placenta come up! Not from Dr's, but a lot of message boards,etc. I am so terrified now!! Could I have hurt the baby?

Yes I know better than to be lifting and my husband was very, very much against it, but my raging hormones and nesting instinct got the better of me and I wanted the room to look good TODAY! It also made room to store some of the bigger baby items until she needs them like the pack n play, swing, etc. I feel so worried and bad now.
    Last edited by flashy09; 11-20-2011 at 01:29 PM.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

Yes, you could have hurt the baby, but it is not likely that you did.

I would take it easy the rest of the day, NO MORE LIFTING AT ALL. Take some Tylenol. And keep track of kick counts, make sure you are feeling baby regularly. If the pains gets worse, if you find you are bleeding or leaking fluid at all, go straight to labor and delivery. Otherwise, call your Dr tomorrow if the soreness persists. They can determine if you have torn the placenta by a blood test.
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

Don't worry my midwives slays told me the o ly reason not to lift something heavy is because u might hurt urself (strain ur back etc) not because
    It will hurt the baby
    mommy to the loves of my life ds (Oct. 2008) and dd (Aug. 2011)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I lifted heavy stuff all through my pregnancy (well, not super heavy but squats with a 40lb bar and other weight stuff). I was foing it the whole time so I know that is a difference from your situation. But, at 38 weeks I would be far less stressed than if it were earlier on. You don't say there is any bleeding. I would imaging you would have bleeding if you ripped the placenta.

I'd call your care provider for peace of mind. Then, I'd grab a big glass of water and go lay down in bed for an hour, pay attention to baby's movement.

And don't google anymore.

Beth

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks everyone. I am just so paranoid right now so close to the finish line! I am not feeling anymore strain and the baby seems normal in movement. No bleeding or anything. I think I am fine....and the couch looks good, lol, so my nesting obsession is happy too. Still worried, but not panicking anymore.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014