Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I always liked this link even more than Spinning Babies for practical things to do before and in labor to help optimize baby's position:
    http://motherspirit.net/articles/pre...reventpost.htm

Yes, they can tell just from feeling around. And if they can't, they need to brush up on their basics.

Cramps, aches, discharge...those can all happen after an exam.

Believe me, I totally get the curiosity especially with a 1st baby. We say on here all the time to just say no to internals but I think most people really like knowing...regardless of what they find out. GL however it plays out!!

Beth

I agree with the PP about no more checks. They really don't tell you anything, don't predict the future, can cause more harm than good, and and be a huge emotional let down.

With all of my babies, I walk around at 5cm. dilated for a solid month. Then at 7cm. for a week. No joke. I'm told I have a cervix of steel But if I had cervical checks (and didnt know my own history) I might have been told at 5cm. to go to the hospital because baby was coming any time now, I would have been there for a month! Or pushed to have pitocin or a c-section because I was taking too long, or put on bedrest. But over time, I have learned this is just what *my* body does, and not to fret about it.

My very first baby was posterior, with a hand up over his head. I pushed him out without too much trouble, and only had an epidural during the last hour of labor. So please don't let anyone tell you you can't have a vaginal birth with a posterior baby. If I can do it with my first one, anyone can!
    Last edited by daisymommy; 11-23-2011 at 05:20 PM.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

You never know. Are you in a hurry to make it on or before your due date? I was 41 weeks with my first and at the time, remember feeling antsy and bored. My 2nd is due on Dec 6th, and I now prefer it to be late, because I enjoy my sleep!

So no worries, just tell yourself baby might be late, and SLEEP SLEEP SLEEP!

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by daisymommy View Post
    I agree with the PP about no more checks. They really don't tell you anything, don't predict the future, can cause more harm than good, and and be a huge emotional let down.

With all of my babies, I walk around at 5cm. dilated for a solid month. Then at 7cm. for a week. No joke. I'm told I have a cervix of steel But if I had cervical checks and was told at 5cm. to go to the hospital because baby was coming any time now, I would have been there for a month! Or pushed to have pitocin or a c-section because I was taking too long, or put on bedrest. But over time, I have learned this is just what *my* body does, and not to fret about it.

My very fist baby was posterior, with a hand up over his head. I pushed him out without too much trouble, and only had an epidural during the last hour of labor. So please don't let anyone tell you you can't have a vaginal birth with a
    posterior baby. If I can do it with my first one, anyone can!

My son (first child) was posterior. It was a long labor, about 35 hrs, but not too bad. I did it with no meds ( not everyone's choice, just giving you a point of reference) so don't let them talk you into anything just because baby is posterior.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'm not a fan of cervical checks (on my own body) either.

I had them with DS1. I walked around 2-3 cm dilated and 70-80 percent effaced for 3+ weeks, with lots of back contractions during that time. I ended up in labor at 39w1d.

With DD I declined cervical checks. I had an appt on my EDD and they pressured me into doing one. I was barely dilated (1 cm or less). I went into labor the following evening. It meant nothing. Oh, and that labor was 3 hours long and I wasn't sure I was in labor for a good bit of that. So I dilated *fast* after that appt, kwim?

With DS2 I declined cervical checks. I had one at the very start of labor (HB with a midwife) and I was already 5-6 cm. I didn't have one for the rest of my labor. He came on his EDD.

FOr me, they were not at *all* predictive.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks, this has been very helpful! Wish I hadn't gotten them done now, but at least I feel hopeful it doesn't mean I am doomed to go way over due. My mom is gone from the 2nd to the 9th of December and I am due the 2nd so I am hoping she comes before then although I think being a first time mom I will probably go at least the full 40 weeks (unless that is just a myth).

I will go look at those websites and see what I can do to help if she is still posterior. Will ask my Dr next week - hoping he would have mentioned it if she was and the fact he didn't means she is facing the right way.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

Just an FYI...I was a full week overdue with #3, despite being 5 or so cm. dilated for weeks. You just never can tell!

The only reason I consent to 1 check a month prior is to make sure I'm not more dilated than that (given my history). Otherwise I still say, no cervical checks!

We will cross our fingers for you that it all works out with the ting of your mom being there. I had a very similar situation last time. But I would absolutely have a back up support person in mind in case baby didn't get the due date memo that "on the clock feeling is so stressful, I hate it."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by daisymommy; 11-23-2011 at 05:28 PM.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

LOL agreed with everyone skip the checks. I was over due with all 4. We mutually agreed to induce Jack at 41 weeks due to size. ( he ended up 10lb1oz) I was maybe 2 and 50% at 41weeks. Induction took 13hrs.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That really doesn't mean anything in terms of when you'll go into labor. I had a closed cervix up until I went into labor. I didn't make it to my due date, DS was born at exactly 38 weeks, and it was a very fast labor (7.5 hours from first contraction until he came out). In fact some people believe there's no point in having your cervix checked.

Quote Originally Posted by flashy09 View Post
    I think being a first time mom I will probably go at least the full 40 weeks (unless that is just a myth).
    It is a myth. DS is my first (38 weeks), my mom never made to her due date (I'm the first born and was a week early).

ETA: DS was posterior, my OB managed to turn him eventually. I also did it with no meds or epidural.
    Last edited by edurnemk; 11-25-2011 at 12:02 AM.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I was dilated with 3 of mine for weeks before I went into labor. The 4th (my 2nd baby) was born a month early and my cervix was closed tight until my baby suddenly decided she was ready.

Also, I had a posterior baby. I didn't even know it until the baby was out. The labor was slightly longer, but not more painful. The pushing was a little uncomfortable, but I had no tears and a good doctor should know how to turn the baby.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast