Default Best way to baby proof sliding glass door?

Dd has figured out how to lock and unlock our sliding glass door. I think she will soon be able to tug it open. I really need a way to keep her from opening this because we have coyotes and I have seen one ten feet off our back door in daylight. She is dog obsessed and I am afraid she will try to go out to pet the "doggy." I don't think a wooden dowel blocking the track is good enough as she could figure out how to lift that out.

Thanks!
    Catherine

tmahanes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

They make a "lock" that is basically the dowel mounted on the door frame at the height you want

ETA: http://www.google.com/m/products/catalog?hl=en&gl=us&client=ms-android-verizon&q=sliding+glass+door+security&sky=mrdr&um= 1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=10267914386261415466&near=Harrisonb urg,%20VA&sa=X&ei=WGfQTvf6EMXo0QGx28EY&ved=0CD8Q8w IwAw#

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tmahanes; 11-26-2011 at 12:14 AM.
    Tara

DS - B 2/10

Could you put a curtain tension rod in between the door and the wall so the door could not be opened? It could be up high rather than a stick in the track on the ground.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Thanks for the ideas! I should have mentioned that I do need for my 8 year old to be able to get out. He doesn't use that door much, but in case of fire it is one of just two doors out. Sounds like one of those ideas may work.

Catherine