SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default NYT article re. benefits of delayed cord clamping

There was a study in the BMJ journal based on a sample group in Sweden. Here's a summary:
    "In blood tests at two days after birth, there were no significant differences in iron status. But when researchers analyzed blood taken at four months, they found iron concentrations were 45 percent higher in the delayed clamping group, and iron deficiency was significantly more prevalent in those who were clamped early."
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/29/he...r=3&ref=health
    It's a short article so that's all I have unless you are a BMJ journal member. If you click on the link there is a brief summary and one highlight is that the study recommends a change in routine.
    http://www.bmj.com/content/343/bmj.d7127

Beth

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    There was a study in the BMJ journal based on a sample group in Sweden. Here's a summary:
    "In blood tests at two days after birth, there were no significant differences in iron status. But when researchers analyzed blood taken at four months, they found iron concentrations were 45 percent higher in the delayed clamping group, and iron deficiency was significantly more prevalent in those who were clamped early."
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/29/he...r=3&ref=health
    It's a short article so that's all I have unless you are a BMJ journal member. If you click on the link there is a brief summary and one highlight is that the study recommends a change in routine.
    http://www.bmj.com/content/343/bmj.d7127

Beth
    Thanks for sharing.

We delayed with all 3 kids. DS1 was not a big solids eater at all. Right around 12 months he was tested for anemia. His results came back as just a bit over what would be diagnosed as anemia, so normal, but barely. I always wondered if he had been clamped early if he would have been fully anemic. He had a lot of constipation issues from 12-15 months or so, and therefore supplementing with iron would have been tricky. For kids like him, IMO, cord clamping vs. not could definitely have an influence on those iron stores.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Haven't read the article, but that makes sense. Anemia is defined by a ratio within the blood volume, so if the issues is blood loss (from failing to allow cord blood to return to the baby) that would take a while to equilibrate.
    shannon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Another Queen of the House of Boys:
    DS#1 2003
    DS#2 my mother's day gift 2012
    DH
    Mikey, the cat and rhinestone-collared, pink-leashed Schatze, our Rottweiler girl

There are so many wonderful benefits to delayed cord clamping. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

So glad to see this getting publicized more and more over the past year or two! I hope that in a decade or so delayed cord clamping will be standard practice everywhere.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Would love to see delayed cord clamping become the norm. I had two homebirths so it was just a given that it would be delayed. With DS2 I sat in the tub with him for about 15-20 minutes before we cut it!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for the article. This reminds me I need to talk to my OB about this. I went to a CNM with DS and it was their standard procedure, but not sure aout the new dr.

When we delayed with DS everyone kept complementing on how much more color he had from babies they had seen before. I'm sure it was because of this.

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I delayed clamping with my last baby. Her hemoglobin at a year is 50% higher than my son's. Planning to do it again.

I wanted to delay with each of my three but for various reasons it didn't happen. With DD2 her cord was too short; they had to cut it so I could have her on my chest. :-(
    Cheri

Mommy to...
    DD1 6/2/04
    DS 3/9/07
    and finally welcomed DD2 on 8/25/2011!