Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default What does the finger prick feel like?

I have to do a week long blood sugar test. Apparently, I am some sort of freak of nature that fails the one hour, passes the three hour, but still shows all the signs of GD including a big baby & excess amniotic fluid. She went from about 50th% to 91% in three weeks

Now I have to do a week long finger prick test.

I am fine with the diet.

But the finger prick scares the crap outta me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any words of wisdom? Care to tell me if it really hurts or not?
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Don't be scared. I'm doing it now (in fact, I just did it 15 minutes ago). It's not bad. The meter is pretty easy to work. My problem is that between the finger pricks, and the insane amount of times I wash my hands every day--before finger pricks, before I eat, every time I pee (which is a lot)-- my hands are really getting dry and cracked and lotion doesn't always help. But the pricks themselves are not such a big deal.

I'm the opposite of you. My baby is measuring totally normal growth, but I failed the 3 hour. I'm just starting to get the hang of the diet. It's not as easy as it sounds at first, at least it isn't for me. In order to keep my numbers to where they should be, I have to eat my meals quickly and then eat nothing else until I test 2 hours after the first bite. If I have a longer, more leisurely meal, it means I'm eating too close to when I test my blood and my reading gets messed up. So, for example, on Sunday I ate breakfast at 7 and at 8 had a cup of coffee with a little skim milk and nursed that coffee. When I tested at 9, the coffee with the skim milk had totally f-ed up my reading.

I've also found that I have to be absolutely rigid about keeping to a time table of when I eat meals and snacks, even if I'm not hungry. I was more laissez fair the first few days and my blood readings showed it.

Honestly, I'm having a hard time getting enough carbs into my system. Avoiding them is easy. Getting the right amount without going over or under is harder. I wasn't getting enough carbs at first, and my keytones went crazy, which is toxic for the baby. Happy to report, no keytones this morning.

ETA: The other thing that's a PITA about the finger prick is timing. I have to do it exactly 2 hours after my first bite of food from a meal. At most, I have a 15 minute leeway time. So this means paying a lot more attention than I otherwise would have. But, there are all sorts of things going on in my day, which make this a real pain. In the mornings, I eat at 7, but if I get stuck in traffic, I might not be at work by 9 and I'm reticent to test while in the car (talk about distracted driving, plus not being able to wash my hands). The afternoons are usually fine, but I've already had to step out of meetings/conference calls that I'm actively involved in so that I can test. Evenings are usually fine. And then there's fitting in the time to do some sort of activity after each meal, which really helps keep the numbers down, but is a royal PITA.
    Last edited by mommylamb; 12-06-2011 at 10:29 AM.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

It's not that bad, it feels like a pinch. It isn't anywhere close to being as painful as an injection. Plus, the fact that you have control over the prick will help. The first few times, you will probably be nervous, but after a while, you just get used to it.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    It's not that bad, it feels like a pinch. It isn't anywhere close to being as painful as an injection. Plus, the fact that you have control over the prick will help. The first few times, you will probably be nervous, but after a while, you just get used to it.
    hee hee hee...ok. I have the dirty mind of a 14 year old boy.

Thanks for the encouragement, though. That is what I was worried about was that it would be like giving shots. I had to do lovenox injections for a couple of weeks with DD1 (until they determined I had been misdiagnosed!) and they were aweful!
    ---------
    A-M

---------

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post
    Don't be scared. I'm doing it now (in fact, I just did it 15 minutes ago). It's not bad. The meter is pretty easy to work. My problem is that between the finger pricks, and the insane amount of times I wash my hands every day--before finger pricks, before I eat, every time I pee (which is a lot)-- my hands are really getting dry and cracked and lotion doesn't always help. But the pricks themselves are not such a big deal.

I'm the opposite of you. My baby is measuring totally normal growth, but I failed the 3 hour. I'm just starting to get the hang of the diet. It's not as easy as it sounds at first, at least it isn't for me. In order to keep my numbers to where they should be, I have to eat my meals quickly and then eat nothing else until I test 2 hours after the first bite. If I have a longer, more leisurely meal, it means I'm eating too close to when I test my blood and my reading gets messed up. So, for example, on Sunday I ate breakfast at 7 and at 8 had a cup of coffee with a little skim milk and nursed that coffee. When I tested at 9, the coffee with the skim milk had totally f-ed up my reading.

I've also found that I have to be absolutely rigid about keeping to a time table of when I eat meals and snacks, even if I'm not hungry. I was more laissez fair the first few days and my blood readings showed it.

Honestly, I'm having a hard time getting enough carbs into my system. Avoiding them is easy. Getting the right amount without going over or under is harder. I wasn't getting enough carbs at first, and my keytones went crazy, which is toxic for the baby. Happy to report, no keytones this morning.

ETA: The other thing that's a PITA about the finger prick is timing. I have to do it exactly 2 hours after my first bite of food from a meal. At most, I have a 15 minute leeway time. So this means paying a lot more attention than I otherwise would have. But, there are all sorts of things going on in my day, which make this a real pain. In the mornings, I eat at 7, but if I get stuck in traffic, I might not be at work by 9 and I'm reticent to test while in the car (talk about distracted driving, plus not being able to wash my hands). The afternoons are usually fine, but I've already had to step out of meetings/conference calls that I'm actively involved in so that I can test. Evenings are usually fine. And then there's fitting in the time to do some sort of activity after each meal, which really helps keep the numbers down, but is a royal PITA.
    Whoa. Ooookaaaay. I actually was on a super healthy diet before getting pregnant and pregnancy cravings have driven me to eat bad food that I don't normally eat. So, nutrition wise, I am ok giving up sugar and big meals, etc. But the timing of the shots? SERIOUSLY? I barely squeeze in two meals a day right now and the idea of having to schedule something to be so precise boggles my mind. Between work (which is never predictable) and a 3 year old and DH being gone....AHHHHHHHH! That is one aspect I had NOT thought of! Thanks for the heads up...I guess I will start thinking about a schedule now!
    ---------
    A-M

---------

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I will also add that certain fingers and placeson them are more sensitive than others. You will quickly figure that out! The pricking really isn't bad, it's not like a shot at all.
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by amldaley View Post
    hee hee hee...ok. I have the dirty mind of a 14 year old boy.

Thanks for the encouragement, though. That is what I was worried about was that it would be like giving shots. I had to do lovenox injections for a couple of weeks with DD1 (until they determined I had been misdiagnosed!) and they were aweful!
    LMAO, I didn't realize how bad that sounded, now that you've pointed it out. You'll just have to think about what I said while you do this and it will keep you distracted, lol.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by amldaley View Post
    Whoa. Ooookaaaay. I actually was on a super healthy diet before getting pregnant and pregnancy cravings have driven me to eat bad food that I don't normally eat. So, nutrition wise, I am ok giving up sugar and big meals, etc. But the timing of the shots? SERIOUSLY? I barely squeeze in two meals a day right now and the idea of having to schedule something to be so precise boggles my mind. Between work (which is never predictable) and a 3 year old and DH being gone....AHHHHHHHH! That is one aspect I had NOT thought of! Thanks for the heads up...I guess I will start thinking about a schedule now!
    Hopefully you will only have to do it for a week. The diet itself isn't bad at all. It just takes planning. I'm already pretty accustomed to it and I don't feel hungry. I've even stopped craving sweets entirely. The timing stuff is a big adjustment though. At least it is for me. But, you might have a different experience or get different feedback from your nutritionist. My blood sugar seems to be very sensitive to when I eat-- even more so than it is to what I eat. But maybe that's just me.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post
    Hopefully you will only have to do it for a week. The diet itself isn't bad at all. It just takes planning. I'm already pretty accustomed to it and I don't feel hungry. I've even stopped craving sweets entirely. The timing stuff is a big adjustment though. At least it is for me. But, you might have a different experience or get different feedback from your nutritionist. My blood sugar seems to be very sensitive to when I eat-- even more so than it is to what I eat. But maybe that's just me.
    Well, I just got back. For this week, they don't want me on a special diet. Just no fruit before noon or after dinner. And I MUST eat three meals a day.

I agree - timing vs food. It is interesting what our bodies are sensitive to!
    ---------
    A-M

---------

Thanks for all your encouragement!

I was too scared and jerked the needle away the first time and then did it again only to learn that the meter had turned off by itself as we waited too long, so I had to do it a third time and now I am skilled at it

Not painful, but now my finger tips hurt after the fact --- I guess I will get used to that?

My doctor wants me to be between 90-120 1 1/2 hours - 2 hours after eating. I have read elsewhere that it should be 160 - so I guess I DO have to be careful.
    ---------
    A-M

---------

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast