Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

How about Finding Nemo? The mom dies in the beginning, but they don't really show much, and I think it goes over the heads of most kids. Cars- I know it's typically thought of as a boy movie, but it's really cute. Toy Story is good as well.

The newer Pixar stuff tends to be more mild, imo. Lion King scares DS1, and it's the only movie that really does, so I'd avoid that one.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Every movie has some scary/intense scenes. We own all the movies mentioned above and some of them my kids find scary (The Lion King recently sent my 5 year old into hysterics FWIW) and some they don't find scary at all.

Of all of them, I think that The Aristocats, Lady and the Tramp and Cinderella are the least scary.

Just FYI, Peter Pan is pretty racist by modern standards. The Aristocats has its moments as well.

ETA: If you thought Tangled was intense, IMO The Lion King is FAR more intense.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have the same issue with our 3 year old. Just got back from Disney so she is really into all the characters right now. Only ones she has seen so far are "Winnie the Pooh", the Tigger movie, Tinkerbell and Toy Story. (She has seen the Curious George movies too, but they are not Disney). There were a few places she got a little nervous in each (like if someone was being mean) but did ok with those. She also has seen the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse longer episodes that are sort of like movies- those aren't scary at all. I think we will try Cinderella as we met the stepmother and stepsisters at Disney and she did ok with them even though she was really worried about it initially. What about Fox and the Hound- is that one scary?

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    ETA: If you thought Tangled was intense, IMO The Lion King is FAR more intense.
    Ooh, thanks for the heads up. I know the father gets killed, but I had no idea. Never saw it- I only know the Hakuna Matata song.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

my child is not terribly sensitive to this "scary" stuff... i would actually say that the lion king is one we avoided for the longest time (we don't own that yet and i'm not sure if i want too)-- we have tons of the movies you mentioned and think you've gotten good feedback, but i think lion king would be a "no" for me if i had your criteria. have fun! we love disney movies!

Aishe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We pretty much stick to Pixar films. I find them to be much sweeter and more innocent than the standard Disney films. They're also a lot wittier, which makes them more fun for parents. The only one I really don't care for is Cars (I just find it kind of loud and frenetic, plus I hate the music), but dd likes it.

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I hadn't seen Lion King in a long time, but we purchased it on Blu Ray when it was released recently. I was really shocked at just how dark it was. Hakuna Matata was what had stuck in my brain too, but looking at it from a new perspective- wow!
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Ds1 is sensitive, he recently asked Tangled be turned off because it was too scary.

He liked Cinderella (first he would watch alone), Winnie the Pooh, and Bug's Life (with FFwd during the grasshopper scenes), Finding Nemo was ok, but we always skipped the first "chapter' which was too much.

He would not watch Beauty and the Beast (plus the crazy sexism drove me nuts).

ETA: Ds will tell everyone and anyone that Peter Pan is the scariest movie of all time!
    Last edited by Simon; 12-06-2011 at 09:52 PM.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

dd is very sensitive as well...she will be 5 in jan. she loves Cinderella and mary Poppins. she was scared in tangled (we stopped at the boat/lantern scene), beauty and the beast and Aladdin.

i'm ISO some more tame choices as well, as she loves movies. is Tinkerbell is movie of its own?

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by abh5e8 View Post
    is Tinkerbell is movie of its own?
    Three movies actually :Tinkerbell, Tinkerbell and the Lost Treasure & Tinkerbell and the Great Fairy Rescue.

My daughter loves "fairy rescue" and doesn't really care about the first 2. I like it too. It's really cute.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast