Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Update in #17 - Mainstreaming Difficulties (long)

Update: DS is going back to the Autism classroom. Full Update in Post #17.

DS is 7 and in 2nd grade. For Kindergarten he was in a self-contained Autism classroom. Last year he was partially mainstreamed: spending mornings in the regular 1st grade classroom and afternoons in the Autism classroom. DS loved going to school and thrived in these placements, making amazing progress.

This year, the school attempted to fully mainstream DS, although with a one-on-one aide. This was not the plan in the IEP, which called for gradually increased partial mainstreaming. The school really mishandled the situation right from the start. It has not gone well. DS can do the academic work (with some modifications), but has had a lot of behavioral difficulties, sensory difficulties, and attention issues. DS has been stressed out since school started: acting out in other settings, sleeping problems, eating problems, always wanting to stay home, and being just a miserable little boy. We’ve had a series of meetings with the school and with district personnel (some meetings lasting as long as 2 hours). Little by little we have been able to get DS’s program adjusted: daily sessions in the sensory room, increased time in the resource room, functional behavior plan, daily reports home, etc. As a result, we’ve gone through several revisions of the IEP.

The current plan calls for DS to get some of his instruction in the regular classroom and some in the resource room. Initially with this plan, DS seemed to be making some improvements. But lately the daily reports have shown that DS is increasingly resistant to being in the regular classroom. He no longer wants to join the regular class for even the activities he previously enjoyed there (computers, science, reading groups, etc). He will go to “specials” with the class, however.

Over the weekend, DS told me, “I am not going to Ms. M’s room (the 2nd grade classroom) anymore. I only like the resource room.” He seemed very happy with himself, almost giddy about it. I told him that I wanted him spend some time in Ms. M’s room to be with his class. But he kept saying over and over that he would not go anymore.

Yesterday, the daily report indicated that he did indeed refuse to even step into the regular classroom. He got all his academic instruction in the resource room. (He did join the class for library time, but refused to check out a book, which is unusual for him.) The resource room teacher noted that DS had a hard time getting settled down to work, but was in an usually good mood all day. He even told his aide that he would rather be sick than go to Ms. M’s class. When I asked DS why he did not want to go to Ms. M’s classroom, he was quiet for while and then said, “I just can’t do it there.” When I tried to get him to explain this, DS simply said, “Mommy, we are done talking about it. I’m not talking about this anymore.” This is exactly what we say to DS when we have made a decision and no more arguments or negotiations are allowed.

This morning, after we went over his daily schedule and school checklist, DS reminded me, “I’m not going to Ms. M’s class anymore. I’m only going to the resource room.” I told him we would have to see that the teachers say about that. DS simply said “No.” He was very calm about it, which is really not like him. I can’t help but realize that he has come to a firm decision in his mind.

I’m not sure what to do here. Obviously DS is unhappy with how mainstreaming has been going. And just as obviously he has come up with his own solution. But I don’t agree with him the giving up on mainstreaming is the right answer. The Autism classroom is no longer considered an “appropriate placement” for him. I don’t think spending all his time in the resource room is appropriate either. We can't force him to be the mainstream classroom without him acting out and disrupting the entire class.

As anyone been through something like this? What do we do now?
    Last edited by Gena; 12-12-2011 at 01:35 PM.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong