Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

These are great ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post
    A couple other ideas (just brainstorming). Does he have a visual schedule? What if he builds his own schedule each morning, but there are not enough blocks for resource room so he has to choose some of them to be in the regular classroom? Then it's not the teachers telling him, it's just the way the schedule works. And he builds it himself so he controls which blocks are done where.
    He does have a visual schedule. He has a book with his schedule for each day of the week. It's a set schedule for each day, with post-it notes added when there is a change in routine. The resource room teaher and the classroom teacher have told me that there is not enough time to let him build his schedule each morning, so the daily books are a compromise.

Right now, the intiention is for DS to be in the regular classroom for the instruction (lesson), but he can choose to do the work either the regular classroom or the resource room. DS is refusing to go the classroom for even the lesson, despite what it says on his schedule.

Another problem right now that almost everyday has a change in schedule for holiday events. These are supposed to be "fun", but DS just finds them stressful and often refuses to participate.

Or can you all play into his view about rules and explain that the resource teacher is not allowed to have him in the room all day? And that his aid isn't allowed to teach him every day? It is agains the rules of their jobs.
    That's an interesting idea. I don't know if DS would accept this. Considering that he has already spent several days in the resource room, it may be hard to explain why they have been braking this rule and not have to follow it.

When DS was mainly in the regular classroom, he kept asking how many cards he needed to pull (stoplight system) to go back to the Autism classroom. So if he is told that he cannot stay in the resource room, he would probably request the Autism classroom again.

Or, can you explain that he either needs to spend part of the day in the regular classroom or he needs to go to a different school? Not as a threat or anything, just that's the way things are. You could even take him to see the other school. And then ask him to chose. I'd only do this if he really can close, of course. But maybe he would rather go to a different school than stay in the regular classroom. I don't know your son, so this may be way too complicated or anxiety producing. We could never have done this kind of thing with my ds in the past, but just this year I think he could understand and make a choice.
    DH and I agree that we will not change schools in the middle of the school year. At this point, it is not even an option offered by the district. It's likely that the school will agree to return him to the Autism classroom, but they are holding this out as a last resort.

We may consider changing schools for next school year. But if it comes to that, I'm not sure if we will stay in the public school system or explore our options through the Ohio Autism Scholarship Program.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

Hmm, I'm out of ideas for the moment. Maybe the holiday break can be an opportunity for a fresh start of some sort. All the extra (NOT) fun activities will be over with. Maybe some kind of social story to read over the break, if social stories help your ds (I know they help lots of kids, they pissed my ds off).

Catherine

inmypjs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't have any great ideas, but wanted to say I'm sorry you are going through this. I've always been impressed when I've read your posts because you sound like such a great advocate for your son! I was thinking that if the school agrees with you that last year things were going better than this year, would that be a starting point for making a new plan for him? Sort of a problem solving approach - last year it was better, this year it's not so great, so let's look at what was working last year and try to get back to that. Good luck and hang in there.

mytwosons is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

So sorry you are going through this.

I think the FBA is something they definitely should have done a while ago and I'm glad to read they are finally moving on it. IME, it's hit or miss whether or not the people doing the assessment are properly trained. Any chance you could convince them to get an outside person to come and observe your DS? I've paid out-of-pocket to have someone come in and found it was worth the cost. (They didn't do a full FBA, but had some very good insights to share.)

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Gena View Post
    I completely agree. For months I have been pushing for a Functional Behavioral Assessment (FBA). The staff has finally started the FBA process and are currently working on gathering data. Personally, I suspect that it is a combination of issues including sensory, language processing, and social diffiiculties.
    Gena, I think you are right, just based on things you've written here.

I do not, not, not want to make light of how difficult and troubling this situation is... but I couldn't read and not comment that I came away from your OP with a sense of deep respect for your son and his calm assertion. What an amazing discussion and amazing child! It also reflects powerfully on the great parenting he's had. When i read what he said, I thought "I bet that's exactly what he hears from Gena..." And then you confirmed my guess! You are raising a fine young man.

Have you had any chance to observe the mainstream classroom personally? You might have some insights, if the school is willing to hear them. I know that can be hit and miss sometimes... It is great that they're doing an FBA but I can say from experience that even great school folks can miss the triggers and functions sometimea.because they are so used to the environment. At least that's what I've seen, as someone who gets to come in from outside. And lest I sound all arrogant, I have missed some glaring things myself when in my regular program environments.

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Uno-Mom View Post
    I do not, not, not want to make light of how difficult and troubling this situation is... but I couldn't read and not comment that I came away from your OP with a sense of deep respect for your son and his calm assertion. What an amazing discussion and amazing child!
    My first thought when I read your original post was "Hmmmmmm, I really like this kid!" He really advocated for himself in such a calm, self-assured way. Impressive.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks again for all the support and the brainstorming.

We had more meetings with the school staff last week and DS was observed by the district's Special Ed Coordinator. The Coordinator was very concerned about what she saw regarding DS's unwillingness to go into the mainstream classroom and his negative self-esteem.

Starting today, DS is going back to the Autism classroom part-time. He will still go back to his 2nd grade class for "specials" and some of his preferred activities. Once he gains better skills for taking group instruction and gets some of his self-confidence back, they will work on slowly re-integrating him into the classroom for more activities.

I think this is the best option for DS right now. He needs the structure and teaching methods that settting can provide. He knows the teacher in that classroom and has a strong bond with her. She has a great understanding of his learning style and what techniques work for him.

The school staff really resisted putting him back in the Autism classroom. The SE Coordinator keeps telling me that they didn't want to do it because DS "is just so darn smart". And I keep reminding her that "smart" is NOT the same thing as "not impaired". The staff is now understanding that they rushed him into full mainstreaming too soon.

DS is happy about going back to the Autism classroom, but anxious that his schedule is changing again. He realized this morning that his schedule book will be wrong, but I tried to reassure him that the teachers will give him a new schedule. I know it'll be a rough transition until DS feels secure about the schedule change. DS told me that he still wants to do "Read Naturally" (a reading comprehension program) and wants to have specials with his class. I told him that I would make sure he still gets those things.

I am hopeful about this change in placement. And I am proud of DS that he was able to voice his feelings on this matter. I know that it is my job to advocate for my son. But I believe that it is also my job to teach him how to advocate for himself. That doesn't mean that he gets to make all the decisions about his educational placement, but it does mean that we need to consider his preferences when making some of those decisions.

As an aside - last month, I ended up changing his Religious Education (Sunday School) enrollment to "home study" because he was not able to handle the classroom environment there either. (His Sunday School teacher had no experience with autism so it was a very difficult situation all around.) DS is much happier studying the religious ed material at home and staying with me during Mass.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That's a great update Gena! I'm sure there will be a few bumps during the transition, but it sounds like things worked out as well as possible. I have to agree that it's really awesome that he's able to advocate for himself so well, and at quite a young age. Sending you a virtual high five.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

inmypjs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm happy to read your update too. It sounds like this will be a good fit once he works through the transition. I also thought it was so neat that he was able to articulate that things weren't working for him.

Sounds like a plan that takes into account your son's needs. I am glad he was able to speak up for himself. Good luck with the transition!

Catherine

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast