Default Anyone familiar with the Swedish brand BRIO?

My in-laws are visiting from Eastern Europe and are expecting their 4th child next summer. They had a Brio stroller for their first 3 kids but loaned/gave it to friends. They are now looking to possibly purchase a stroller here in the U.S. and take back with them. It has to have the real sturdy metal frame and the air-filled wheels, etc. Any recommendations? Anyone know of a similar brand? TIA.
    Mommy to DS born March '07 and DS born April '11

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have to say that I find that surprising. There are so many cool European strollers that are not available here. Many of us wish we could buy in Europe.

In any case, the American market is geared toward strollers that are much less sturdy than European ones. People here want lightweight strollers that can easily be folded and put into the trunk of a car. Your in laws can take a look at the Mountain Buggy Urban Jungle or Teutonia (but I heard that Teutonia in the US is not much like the Teutonias made for the European market). Something to consider. My in laws are European. When I go visit, I see a lot of MBs that were imported from the US. Everything else is from Europe.

There are not a lot of reversible strollers with air tires here in the US. Is that a feature they would like in their next stroller? The US doesn't have any Brio like strollers except for maybe the Queen B from Bumbleride except the Brio is probably more solid. If they don't care about having a bassinet or reversible seat then I would look at the BOB, Bumbleride or Baby Jogger. Everything else I would recommend is not American but is cheaper in the US: Valco, Mountain Buggy, Bugaboo and maybe even an Easy Walker.

It doesn't have true air tires but maybe they would like to take a look at the Uppa Baby Vista.
    AF wife and SAHM of three
    DS(2007.March) DD(2009.July) DS(2012.December)

Just FYI, the Bumbleride indie does have a bassinet option.

For sturdiness with air tires, I'd look at the Mountain Buggies. The Swift is a nice combination of very sturdy and fairly small (though I LOVE my indie with it's lovely colors, slightly bigger air tires, and fabulous canopy, the Swift does win the sturdiness competition).

Catherine

The options others suggested are good ones, but it sounds like they are looking for a pram and they will have a much better selection in Europe. The Bumbleride Queen B is the closest here, but I don't think it will compare to something like a Brio or Emmaljunga if that's what they are used to.

ETA: Oh, they could look at the Mutsy line (4-rider, etc.). It's a European brand though. If what they want is to save money the Vista might appeal, but it has small wheels in the front.

mom3boys is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have a Teutonia with "tubeless" air tires, with a reversible seat. The suspension is great, I absolutely love this stroller. However, they don't seem to sell much in the U.S. The equivalent of what I have is from their "custom" collection where you buy the frame, seat, and bassinet (if you want it) separately. If I were buying one now in the U.S. I would get the T-460 frame rather than theT-160,because it looks really solid and the handle reverses. However, having said all that, If I were really wanting a Teutonia and could I would buy one in Europe--there are lots more options on frame type, (including the 3-wheeled version, which is what I have but they don't market in the US any more, I think they have a pram too) size, colors, etc. I don't know what the prices are in Europe but the custom collection in the U.S. is quite pricey. Their non-custom stoller for the U.S., the T-linx, I have never seen IRL but doesn't impress me from the pictures.

For a reversible AT(or foam tires) the other options are really a Bug, Mutsy, iCandy, or Bumbleride Queen B. Valco and Easywalker have reversible models coming out this spring. But of those brands, only the Bumbleride is a U.S. brand; Bugaboo, Mutsy, Easywalker, iCandy (UK) are all European. Valco is Australian but perhaps cheaper in the U.S.?
    M, Mom to 3 handsome boys, '06, '08, '11

The only thing on this side of the pond that'll compare at all is the Queen B. Euro prams are huge and gorgeous. (And Brio has had some that aren't fixed-wheel, so there is the chance they had something that wasn't actually a pram.)
    Melanie

Mama, PhD, to: Baby Bear (September 2006); The Cub (November 2009); and three babies in heaven
    Favourite human to two Maine Coon cats
    I drive a Bugaboo Cameleon, a Bugaboo Bee+ (2010) and a Mutsy Urban Rider. Ooops, and a Chariot CX2, too! Oh, and a purple Starck Maclaren And oh, wait, I have *another* Bee+ (2011). How did I get six strollers?? Uh-oh, there's a P&T Dash in my living room - who put that there?

FWIW, I have a Brio Spin and I love it! A bit on the hefty side, but narrow and super cushy to push!
    Current stroller arsenal: Bumbleride Flyer (lava), Brio Spin (black/green on white chassis), Maclaren Starck (tangerine)

It's funny that they are looking for something here, when it seems like they have the bulk of great stroller options! (FWIW I have a Queen B and love it, but I haven't tried a Euro stroller.)