Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What age for Beverly Cleary books?

Costco has The Beverly Cleary collection on sale for $25 (15 books).
    What age is this appropriate for?
    Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/World-Beverly-...3807784&sr=8-3
    Mom to DD 7/06, DS1 8/08 & DS2 9/11!

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

As a read aloud or independent reading? We did several of these really early as read alouds. DS1 loved Henry Huggins, Ribsy, Mouse and the Motorcycle from about age 4-5 I'd say. I think he read several of those on his own again around age 5-6. He still revisits them (and is going on 8).
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

I'd say the material is appropriate for 3rd graders and up, even if kiddo can "read" it younger. And maybe even a little older than 3rd grade just because there are some higher level concepts -- like I think Ramonas dad loses his job, right? Sorry! Can't remember all the stories anymore, but might look into the plots more than reading level, per se....

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lucybabymamma View Post
    I'd say the material is appropriate for 8 and up, even if kiddo can "read" it younger. A little older just because there are some higher level concepts -- like I think Ramonas dad loses his job, right? Sorry! Can't remember all the stories anymore, but might look into the plots more than reading level, per se....
    Yeah, I'm less familiar with Ramona. However, my DS1 is very sensitive and Henry, Ribsy, and Mouse and the Motorcycle series were all enjoyed by him and not scary to him at all (and he was quite sensitive at that age).
    Last edited by brittone2; 12-13-2011 at 04:48 PM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD just turned 5 and loves the Ramona and Beezus movie. I love it to, because it isn't all sweetness and goop-- it includes Ramona's dad being laid off, money worries, etc., but not in a scary way. Because she likes the characters so much, we decided to get her a Henry Huggins and a Ramona book for her stocking for this year, even though she's not reading independently yet. We'll read them at night like we've been doing with Magic Treehouse and some others.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

Quote Originally Posted by boolady View Post
    DD just turned 5 and loves the Ramona and Beezus movie. I love it to, because it isn't all sweetness and goop-- it includes Ramona's dad being laid off, money worries, etc., but not in a scary way. Because she likes the characters so much, we decided to get her a Henry Huggins and a Ramona book for her stocking for this year, even though she's not reading independently yet. We'll read them at night like we've been doing with Magic Treehouse and some others.
    Good point! I think if you are reading them with DC (versus independent reading) then they would probably enjoy (and understand) them younger

MaiseyDog is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DD1 is almost 7 and in 1st grade. She has really gotten into the Ramona books in the last few months. She hasn't had any problems with the content.
    Margaret

DD1- 2/14/05
    DD2- 9/24/07

DD2's K teacher read the class Ramona the Pest a few years back. I think they're appropriate as read alouds for 4 and 5 year olds, and they seem to be pretty popular books for independent reading in my 2nd grader's classroom.
    Green Tea, mom to three

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Personally, I read many of them in second grade and some in third. Ramona Quimby Age 8 came out when I was in 3rd grade. I was soooo excited to take it out of the library because we were the same age. I will be reading Mouse and Motorcycle and Ramona and Beezus to DS1 soon.

I am going to Costco to buy that set tomorrow. Thank you.

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DD read them herself in second grade.
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast