171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

78 45.61%
  • No

34 19.88%
  • Sometimes

59 34.50%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Our mothers of multiples group has twice yearly sales. I usually pick up a few things. But I'm pretty good at shopping sales, I don't feel the need to put a lot of effort into finding used clothes.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I buy used sometimes. I don't want to spend a lot, and I find better stuff - more durable and comfortable - at the local consignment for the price of low-end clothing shops (old navy, kohls, target). My goal annually is to put more money in the kids 529 than I spend on clothes.

But yes, right around 3t the used market isn't really great anymore. I do not spend a lot of time or effort clothes shopping.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

MoJo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I was pretty much raised that it's "wrong." But I'd say 80% of their clothes are purchased used (and 10% are gifts). My mom especially had a hard time with that at first.

But I can't afford quality new; and I can't tell you how many times something I bought at Target or Walmart was not wearable after two or three wearings & that almost never happens with the used clothes.

My mom is now mostly convinced. We have several thrift shops in our area and so far I've been able to find just about everything besides PJs used but in good to like-new condition. Everyone compliments their dresses. Because 4s and 5s are harder to buy, I've started to grab those and put them away as I find them. I don't have the patience for yard sales much, but DH loves thrift shopping so it's easy to get there frequently to find what we need.
    Jo

DD#1 "JellyBean" 6/08
    DD#2 "Ha" 6/10

"Theory is great, but as I'm in the trenches of diapers and dishes and ear infections, I try to relax and focus on what's most important: love."--mjs64

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Not exclusively, but for DD especially, there are TONS of items to choose from at our local consignment sale. I am addicted to trying to find as much of her wardrobe as I can used. For the boys, I try to buy the costly things used and get amazing deals for them. We're in the 4-5 range in boys where nothing survives and very little is available for sales.

Yes, I would say 75%of their wardrobe is used. I do this to stretch our $$ further. Then, I often turn right back around and resell it.

I definitely don't see anything "wrong" with used clothing.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I buy as much as I can used. We could easily afford new, but would rather spend our money elsewhere.

I used to be able to get nearly everything I needed at mom2mom sales. Most items are $1-$2 each there. As DS1 is getting older, those sizes are harder to find, so I started shopping at the Salvation Army for him and it worked really well this year. I again got most everything I needed. I end up having to buy a few new things for each kid, but not many.

I do buy socks and underwear new.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post
    Yes, absolutely, I buy used. We could afford to buy new, but why spend more money on something that gets such short use? Dd went through five sizes of clothes on the first year of her life; thank goodness for CL lots at $1 a piece instead of $5-10 or more new! And, of course, it is better for the environment. I also gladly accept hand me downs!

I voted sometimes because I haven't ever found much used for older ds, especially in bigger sizes, and because I have bought a fair chunk of new stuff for dd too based on lack of ready availability of a specific item used and because I'm a sucker for "special" dresses.

Catherine
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    I do buy socks and underwear new.

I work FT so I don't have a lot of time to look for used, but when I'm able to hit up rummage sales or the like I definitely get used clothes. We are also blessed with a family at work that has boys just a few years older than our boys and they give us all their hand-me-downs. It has been a life saver.

Our neighbor is expecting and due in March. I've already given her 2-3 bags of NB & 0-3 mo clothes. I totally agree that so many of the kids clothes, especially in the first year, are barely worn.

Used clothes are harder to find for DS1 and since I don't have a ton of time he gets a bit more new at this point. But its always from sales...and often I'm able to purchase at the end of a season for the following year at rock bottom prices.

I hadn't thought of how much better it is for the environment to be recycling kids clothes...but now I feel even better about it!

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I voted sometimes. I love buying used and do frequently. Most of the girls clothes for the first two years were either gifts or used from yard sales, thrift stores or consignment sales. I looooove the Twin Sale local to me. As they got older I found it harder to find deals on clothes in excellent, like new shape, and I started finding clearance deals so cheap on new stuff that they were irresistible. Also, the girls still really want to match most of the time....or more accurately they are so competitive that matching seems the only way to have peace. So I tend to just shop super cheap clearance to keep it simple for me. I never thought we would match so long but they still almost always choose the same items to wear.

For DC3 I will DEFINITELY by tons used. I hope to get a few handmedowns (didn't really get any with the girls except one almost stranger I met who blessed us with boxes of matching clothes...SO wonderful!). I know it will be tons easier shopping for one LO, so I will likely get most clothes from thrift stores or yard sales. Even consignment sales are often too pricey for me.

I have met people who are disgusted by buying used, and honestly, I can't imagine us ever being friends. That attitude is really too much for me.

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've done it, but not very often. I think I've gone to two consignment sales in the last 5 years. Other than that, his used clothes are all hand me downs, and I have no problem accepting though.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I don't in general. I don't have an issue with it per se but I don't have the time. If I was at a yard sale and saw something I loved, I'd get it.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast