171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

78 45.61%
  • No

34 19.88%
  • Sometimes

59 34.50%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

I love buying used stuff - its like a hobby. I can look at a rack of hundreds of things jammed together and usually tell from the shoulder what is hanna, gymboree, gap, and boutique brands. There might be some I miss but what I pull out is rarely a Kohls or target or Walmart brand. i participate in a big twice yearly consignment sale and get a lot there. I also browse Ebay for some more expensive boutique brands - these are often barely worn. I dont buy used Pjs, socks etc and i'd say no used shoes but now my youngest loves fancy shoes and I have bought some expensive shoes if they show minimal to no wear. I buy used toys too and have no qualms wrapping them up for Christmas either. Although as the kids get older, the quality declines- Im not sure why so much. When I put my 8 years olds outgrown clothes in a bin they are in perfect condition but stuff in her size at consignment is so worn out usually.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Oh, all the time. Two of the three closest places to buy clothing to me are thrift stores. I hit up the preschool fundraiser sales too. With the exception of some Hanna, REI and Land's End sales plus the threadless shirts they just got as gifts, all their clothes are used.

I like recycling and I hate overspending. Thrift stores are a big solution. Personally, I find the idea that used is wrong unless you are poor to be really out of sync with my values.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

I do for high end, designer, boutique brands, that I would never in my right mind pay full price for. That is, if I can't get it on sale brand new. Ebay and swap boards are great for this kind of thing, and people take really good care of the clothes.

We don't have any decent consignment or thrift stores around here, everything looks so old and worn out, I would never buy it.

Otherwise, I buy affordable new clothing, knowing that it will last through several children if it starts out new with me.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nmosur View Post
    No - I don't buy used clothing for DD but I do accept hand-me downs from friends that I know. And yes, it is a cultural thing that I can't get past. I am from India and it is believed that when you get used items (furniture, clothing, etc) from people, you also accept a part of their luck/karma. And usually people selling furniture and good usable clothing are people who have fallen on hard times (not here in the west but in India). Therefore you don't buy or accept used things from unknown people. Hope this clears the reasoning behind why no buying no used clothing.
    I do appreciate that perspective because I've never heard about it. That is really interesting and helps me understand it, so thanks for explaining!

I did almost exclusively for DD in her 1st year. I wasted a decent amount of money on clothes that were labeled "9 months" but b/c they had been washed/worn they actually fit like 6 months. I also started figuring out that at the outlets and Kohls I could end up getting stuff for about the same price as I was paying at consignment (4-6 bucks a pop on average). I haven't been back to consignment in a while. I've also found that Target brand, Children's Place and Old Navy simply do not work for her no matter how cheap.

Now that she is in 2Ts (and I think she will be here for a bit) I have been shopping sales - got a bunch of cute gymbo stuff for 6-7 bucks each. I should mention that she is in DC so I only buy comfy stuff - leggings and shirts. No jeans, things with buttons, etc.

I also don't buy a lot. All of her pants and shirts fit in one dresser drawer (and we have another dresser drawer for her PJs). I have to wash her clothes on Friday, b/c we don't have enough to get through the week.

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No. I just don't have time. If I expense out my time and my gas and the general aggravation (I am too busy to find thrifting fun - - ironically I would love it if I didn't have the time demands of kids!) . . . it doesn't make much sense for us. I confess I do a big hanna winter sale order and the fall and spring preorders at Boden and go to our local shoe store and that is it, done!
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

I buy more used than new. I'd rather spend $20 on a used Hanna outfit than $10 on a new CP one.

=No - I don't buy used clothing for DD but I do accept hand-me downs from friends that I know. And yes, it is a cultural thing that I can't get past. I am from India and it is believed that when you get used items (furniture, clothing, etc) from people, you also accept a part of their luck/karma. And usually people selling furniture and good usable clothing are people who have fallen on hard times (not here in the west but in India). Therefore you don't buy or accept used things from unknown people. Hope this clears the reasoning behind why no buying no used clothing.reciate that perspective because I've never heard about it. That is really interesting and helps me understand it, so thanks for explaining!
    I sell my kid's clothes all of the time, and we are solidly middle class with no debt. I think in America it's a lot more acceptable to buy or sell used.
    Last edited by Jo..; 12-29-2011 at 08:38 AM.

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Jo, I think you missed the paren where the poster said the falling on hard times part applies in India, not here in the west.

Many, probably most middle class and upper middle class moms I know have an active buy/sell going on with their kids clothes. I am the wasteful western minority on this one!
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nmosur View Post
    No - I don't buy used clothing for DD but I do accept hand-me downs from friends that I know. And yes, it is a cultural thing that I can't get past. I am from India and it is believed that when you get used items (furniture, clothing, etc) from people, you also accept a part of their luck/karma. And usually people selling furniture and good usable clothing are people who have fallen on hard times (not here in the west but in India). Therefore you don't buy or accept used things from unknown people. Hope this clears the reasoning behind why no buying no used clothing.
    That's fascinating, thanks for sharing.

I can relate to the sense that you are sharing something personal when you buy used belongings, especially ones that have been worn. Because I'm a western (and west coast) girl, I have a positive rather than negative gut feeling about the spirit I'm sharing when I buy or sell. I like the little community of young parents who frequent our little consignment stores and it feels nice to spread our good spirits and quirky kids' clothes around.

So even though the result is opposite from that Indian cultural practice (my feeling encourages me to buy consignment) I can relate to the feeling behind what you describe. It's pretty much why I just don't feel pleasant about shopping at, say, a pawn shop.

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast