Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best age for unit blocks?

Last year I got a deal on M&D architectural unit blocks on Amazon around Christmas. They are still in my gift closet and I'm wondering when I should give them to DD. I know blocks can be enjoyed at lots of ages, but I'm wondering when your DC was most into them? We pretty much have all the Christmas gifts for DD for this year, so I don't necessarily have to give them to her now (she is 2.5). So, the options are: give them to her now (age 2.5), wait until her birthday in the early summer (age 3) or even wait until next Christmas (age 3.5)? Any thoughts? Thanks!

kedss is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'd probably wait til her birthday, unless she starts showing a desire to build all of a sudden.

Kate
    mom to C, 12/03, H, 06/08 and R, 4/11

"When a woman says "What?" It's not because she didn't hear you. Its because she's giving you a chance to change what you said." ~Author Unknown(posting on FB)

"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing up is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing." ~Phyllis Diller

DS got really interested around age four. At eight and a half he still plays with them daily. Hands down our best ever toy purchases (we added to a small set he was given after his interest became clear). Dd is 20 months and while she occasionally "plays" with them, they aren't anything special to her.

I'd wait at least until birthday since you have plenty of other things for Christmas.

Catherine

Thanks! I didn't want to wait and have her not interested in the blocks later on, but it looks like that won't be a problem and that it actually might be better to wait a little. She has her Duplos to build with for now, anyway.

My parents bought a set from barclay when my boys were 4 and 5. I think it was about a year before they started REALLY using them on a daily basis. Before that, it was mostly the magnatiles. They are now 7 and 8 and use them daily. I've added more unit blocks found on craigslist and bought a set of large hollow wooden blocks and kapla blocks to their collection and they use them all together.

dd got her set at 3.5. she plays with it nearly everyday. her duplos don't get as much use as her unit blocks do. if I could do it over again, I would try as early as 3. but you never know what they take to till they get their hands on it.

MamaSnoo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

FWIW, our unit blocks get no play at all. DD had had them since age 2, and shows no interest. Maybe I should put them in the attic and pull them out in another year as if they are a new thing.

She does love to build with her duplos. She likes to make really tall things. Maybe that is the issue with the unit blocks?
    Bug-a-wug 3/2008

Baby-Boy 5/2012.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My girls have been playing with the alphabet blocks and citiblocks consistently since they were maybe 3.5. I *think* we added the big unit block set last Christmas? (at a little over 4?) (I really can't remember, which is sad). They still play with them probably three times a week. They almost always play with them along with their Schleich animals, so they are making farms, cities, zoos, boats, castles etc. They are definitely a favorite toy. I think the citiblocks are the best, and DH likes to build stuff with them using those. You can make truly amazing structures!

Jenn27 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Ours have been heavily used since around 2 years old (now just over 3 and she incorporates train, animals, etc more)

DD is 3 and loves them; DS is almost 6, and he does, too.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast