♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default is melatonin safe while breastfeeding??

I'm trying to determine if it's safe for me to take or not. I'm still nursing my 9 month old DD. She sleeps through the night (11-12 hrs) just fine, it's me who occasionally has a horrible time sleeping (particularly around AF time..it is downright awful then).

i've tried Tylenol PM in the past, but it seems to upset my stomach plus i wake up super-groggy in the morning. I've tried meditation cds or whatever, but they don't always work, and sometimes make things worse!

I asked DH to pick up some melatonin at the store and he got those dissolving tabs. but now i read the package and it says not to take while nursing. ARGH. Is this a true concern or is just one of those generic CYA warnings that's put on all supplements?
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 12-26-2011 at 11:45 PM.

Dr. Hale ("the" expert in medication and mother's milk) lists it as an L3, with a 30-50 minute half life.
    L3 Moderately Safe

There are no controlled studies in breastfeeding women, however the risk of untoward effects to a breastfed infant is possible; or, controlled studies show only minimal non-threatening adverse effects. Drugs should be given only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the infant.

He does note that it has not been associated with any negative effects in infants.

http://www.medsmilk.com/pages/lactation_risk_categories
    Last edited by daisymommy; 12-27-2011 at 08:01 AM.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

thanks for the info!

i ended up taking a tablet last night at 1am, after a 2nd night in a row of only 2 hours sleep (insomnia). around 2am i did fall asleep, but at 5am i woke up running to the bathroom..it wasn't pretty. i looked in the ingredients, and it has mannitol, sorbitol, and magnesium...guess my digestive system can't take that. argh, and i only took ONE 1.5 mg tablet!!!

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yucky, bad night. you might seek out a brand that is only melatonin. Mine has no additives.

Fwiw, I took it while pregnant and nursing. At the time, i took only 1mg nightly.

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Uno-Mom View Post
    Yucky, bad night. you might seek out a brand that is only melatonin. Mine has no additives.

Fwiw, I took it while pregnant and nursing. At the time, i took only 1mg nightly.
    hmm, maybe i need to go to a GNC or something and see if i can find one that is just melatonin. the one DH got was from Target (called Mid-Nite) and said it was melatonin (1.5 mg) and lemon balm, chamomile and lavender. I thought that was it..then i look at the fine print and there was a list of "other ingredients" including magnesium stearate and sugar alcohols (absolute no-nos for me). Argh!!

eta: never mind, i just looked and it looks like melatonin itself can cause stomach upset/diarrhea as a side effect. UGH. Now I have to restart my search for a sleep-aid that won't destroy my digestive system.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/13...n-supplements/
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 12-27-2011 at 05:05 PM.